fishing(not catching)on the grand

fatherof3

Took my son fishing for a bit.We only caught a couple of small bass nothing to great so we decided to try tonight.We went down to our spot on the Grand.We were there for a couple of hours with only one bass caught by my son.100_0092.jpg100_0091.jpgWhile there we were entertained with quite the show.There were 4 guys carp fishing and in the time we were there they must have landed 5 or 6 10+lb fish and lost a huge one that just started running until the line snapped.Also,there was a guy beside us who just finished saying that he was catching bigger fish last year when he caught this beauty.100_0093.jpgI knew the bigger fish are in where we fish but it was good to see them and just makes me want to go back that much more.

Well it is good to see fish being caught on that waterway at all. I have been totally skunked this year on about 5 outings on the Grand/Nith/Conestoga waterways. I was kind taking it personally until I heard an oldtimer say that he has found this year to be slow as well.

Last summer I went to a place in Guelph on the Speed river like 4 times a week and caught at least one or two nice bass each time, with the odd Pike for good measure. This year, doing the exact same things in the same spots I have had notta!!

Have you found this year slow? If so, why do you think and when will it change?

I have found the Grand and Nith in Paris to be really hard this year. It is not day to day but morning to evening.Last week we went out in the morning and caught 12 or so bass and went back in the evening and got skunked. I am finding now that the water level has raised slightly the fishing is getting better.

Can anyone suggest a good shore fishing spot on the Grand? I only know a few spots around Guelph. Not really familiar with Paris or Brantford area and hesitant to venture there without knowing if I can park and walk to a decent spot.

If you could tell me where to go and park in Paris, I can find the fishing spots.

Any help appreciated.

hey Mark,you can park pretty much anywhere right downtown Paris and hit both the Nith and Grand Rivers for walking.There are numerous spots to get into the river.You can also park at Lions park.The Nith is right there and the grand is a five minute walk away.Google Paris and look for Bean and Catherine parks.These are other points you can get in.

I fished in paris yesterday and we got quite a few bass in there and that was in the afternoon... They were hitting senko's and xraps and even senkos on the topwater...

Be careful near the dam for sure (very dangerous) and if you're fishing downstream it is considered "exceptional waters" and strick regulations apply. No live bait and single barbless hooks are required. Here's an exerpt from the GRCA website ..... Special fishing regulations have been put in place in part of this section of the Grand to protect the habitat of the species in this section of the river and to improve fishing opportunities.

The zone extends from 100 metres below the Highway 2 bridge in Paris to the Pedestrian Walkway and Services Bridge on the north boundary of Brant Conservation Area.

This a barbless hook, artificial lure and catch and release zone.

• 1 year later...

Fished just above Bean park (1km) and walked around - after reading this post. Beautiful spot - I noticed tons of minnows for a long stretch - thought that would be a good sign - perhaps not - no sign of any fish. Further up I found a Pike and 2 bass, catch and release (rules).

Been exploring the grand, quite nice but fish seem to be only in certain parts, I found pools and pockets, crystal clear - no sign of any bass/walleye.

I guess I have to keep exploring, perhaps Guelph area!

Sore like crazy from all that wading and falling and the pike who bit me when I unhooked it.