Help from Simcoe Fishermen

issamhay

Hi all my first post ima relatively new fisherman ive only fished the kempenfelt bay part pf Lake Simcoe but ive heard that its the probably the crappiest part of the Lake to fish and im starting to belive them because the only things ive been catching are perch and tiny bass (spotted ones i think not sure since their too small to tell) I know that cooks Bay and the areas around the islands are the best for cathcing bass and pike can anyone confirm this and thnx in advance.

Im thinking your just not fishing in the right spots on the Bay as I live right there and so do a few others here and do well.

You just have to realise the bay is deep and the water temps here are much slower to warm up then the big lake.

What have you been using out there?

Ive been using mostly crankbaits, live minoows and whole worms, swimbaits and spinnerbaits near heavily weeded areas, would u mind giving me more detailed information about kempenfelt bay on msn or something man i really need to show my dad what fishing is all about ...:(

The spots ive ben fishing are mostly a few hundred metres from the Tiffin launch

Well if you wait another month or so,you,ll have more perch and 2 pound bass then you can handle.Just watch for the massive crowd out in front of the beach.

Use mini tube baits and drop shot some small baits.

Right now that area is pretty screwed up with the new pipe line being put out there.Fishing in the bay will pick up soon.It,s not really a spring summer bay to fish unless you know spots.

I will give you this. Head out from the beach in 40 fow.There you will find perch and whities.Small hammered williams work best.

Sorry,no bass spots.LOL

First of all you should read the fishing regulations and at the very least familiarize yourself with the all the various species within the body of water you are fishing, be able to identify them and know their respective seasons, catch and size limits. If you must, then take a pic of the species in question and post it on the board so someone can help identify it. This is a minimum requirement which any experienced fisherman has of anyone persuing this sport or pastime. Following that, learn about the habitat of the species you want to target, types of preferred bait, lure presentations, tactics, equipment, etc.. All you have to do is read the posts on this board, there are a lot of very informative posts. If you want to find out more info on things such as drop shotting, or using tubes, then use the search tool and you will get more than enough hits, that you will be a pro in no time. Last but not least, Go Fishing, there is no better or quicker way to learn. You can learn by watching others, talking to people at the bait shops, and especially by talking to people at the launch. Then you will find that people also become much more open to giving you details as to what, how, and where.

Edited by Tackle Buster

If you want to improve your chances of catching a fish, start in Cooks Bay.

For a launch see this site http://www.marinasontario.com/marinas_list.asp?reg=5

As for needing a fishfinder, that is not the case at all. Lake Simcoe is very clear and you can easily see bottom in 12-15 ft of water if you have polarized sunglasses (thats your fishfinder). If you study your map you should have no problem locating likely spots with mixed structure such as weed lines, points, shoals, etc.. If that still seems too difficult, then fish where you see others fishing. Keep moving, fish one area for a short while, if you are not catching, move on. That way you also learn the lake. As for how, there is a wealth of information on this site that will help you in that regard too. Good luck, look forward to report.

omg guys i went out today in kempenfelt we were not more than 12 feet of water and i swear to god my dad hooks this enemormous smallmouth ona small rapala minnow imitation it had to be 6 pounds and upwards we get it to boat and the bass escapes because the hooks were way too small for it argggghhhhh, rest of the day we caught a few 3/4 pounder largemouth and enormous rock bass and the biggest perch ive ever seen.

Edited by Simcoe Fisherman