Trolling motor battery issue,any idea`s

I have a puzzling problem with my battery and I am wondering if anyboby else has ever had this problem.

When I tighten the wing nut down on the positive terminal the trolling motor will not work,if I loosen the nut two or three turns it works fine.

If I connect the wire directly to the lead post it works fine.

All the terminals and wires are clean and the battery is sound this sure has me scratching my head,has anybody ever had this problem before.

Thanks.

While it is not an answer this might help.

Remove the nut and wire loops and inspect the loop to make sure it is not corroded in two.

Clean the loop with sand paper and wire brush the terminals.

Reassemble them and test.

If they are OK then spray with a corrosion spray for batteries.

If the above fails then loosen till it works and move the wire aroundto see if you have a bad wire.

If that fails tighten it down till it stops running and using a volt meter go from the positive to the negative and read the posts it might be the post has sheared inside of the battery but it is not often you see that........

Art

You have a bad connection/wire. Since the motor works fine when connected directly to the battery you know the problem is in the wiring. Check for corrosion or broken wires. Also check your ground. The problem might appear to be with the positive wire, but it could in actuality be the ground. I'd start by inspecting your connections carefully. Try flexing the wires near the connections while you have the motor in the on position. If it turns on and off then you likely have a broken wire or bad terminal connection. If that doesn't solve your problem then try cleaning, sanding and re-coating all the contacts in the loop you are connecting. Make sure to check the connection and contacts at the fuse/breaker junction.

Thanks for the comments guys but I am pretty sure that it`s not a wire issue, I did take my cranking battery and tried it and the motor worked fine.

When I connect the deep cycle and tighten the wing nuts down there is not enough power going through to turn the prop there is however some power going through because when you press the battery meter it glows faintly and the head will turn right or left very slowly.

I can solve the problem by by passing the wing nut connector and use the lead connector but that is a pain to disconnect for charging.

appears to be a battery internal problem====bad connection inside when you apply a pull----(tighten wing nut) Try another deep cycle (borrowed)-- This will isolate it to your battery if other one works good. Seen this twice before

Please do not continue to use the battery if you can prove it is malfunctioning it can short out and start a fire. Alls it will take is some rough water to jar it into a internal short and you will have a boat in flames while you are on the water.

Art