A first for me yesterday

Guest Trophymuskie

Guest Trophymuskie

I convinced my daughter to come fish with me yesterday after bribing her that we would be casting. Well we arrived at the launch at 1 PM and it was windy as hell, weird as there was no big waves so I thought the wind just picked up as I had not noticed it at home or driving to the launch.

I still drove to one of my favorite casting spot, and even at 50+ MPH the boat was actually shifting side to side from the winds. Well we fought the winds for an hour casting and all we got for our efforts was the skinniest pike I ever saw and he came off the spot on the spot indicating that big muskies must not be present.

So I decided that we just had to troll. I took off to one of my favorite trolling runs and this time we flew with the wind at our backs, so much so that I hit a major chine walk that I had to really slow down to get out of.

Well here we are trolling crank baits downwind around the 2:30 minor when the inside rod goes off, instantly I knew it was a snag so I jumped on the rod to see if I can get it lose without having to slow or stop. This works for me most times but this time as I was trying to get the lure off the snag the other rod goes off and instantly I knew this one was a fish as I could hear the head shakes in the clicker.

So here we are getting blown around from a 40-50 MPH winds with a lure snagged and a fish on the other rod. needless to say this was a major Chinese fire drill as the boat had to be turned so not to run out of line on snag but at the same time a fish had to be fought and landed. Not the biggest of beats but it was a nice solid 44 inch fish. By the time the fish was netted and even that was a very close call the snagged rod had over 300 feet of line out. It easily came undone once we got behind it but man was that a frantic 5 minutes. LOL

At least we landed a decent Esox in our 3 hour mid afternoon venture.

Guest Trophymuskie
Thanks for the report Richard. Which part of that was "a first' ?

Having both rods go off within seconds and not been 2 fish. I've cough fish on snags before but never have I experienced a fish been caught at the same time another lure was snagged. Normally it would be 2 snags. LOL

Guest Trophymuskie
Sounded like a pretty exciting few minutes there!!! If it was me, it would have been two snags....LOL.

That's easy to do I do it at least once each and every year.

And yes Lew I got a pic of that nice girl but I just leave camera in the boat. I guess i'll download some pics when my client leaves on Tuesday. I rarely take picturs of fish under 50 but that one has an interesting story. :)

My client flew in this afternoon se we got out for a few hours in tonight and could only manage a 47 and a dink as well as missing a couple of good ones, the musky guru was fishing out my way tonight and he must of scared off all the bigger ones. :wallbash: