charging deep cycle batteries

codered

I have been told that to charge a deep cycle batterie it should be done on 2 amp cycle to charge it properly ..

I have been given a new batterie charger from a friend and it doesnt have the option to charge it at 2 amp only 10 ..

Does anybody know if charging on 2 amp vs 10 will make a difference?

I dont know much about batteries any help would be great...

Thx happy fishing...

lets see, charging a dead 100 amp battery...=50 hours of charging at 2 amps....hope you don't want to go fishing the next day

the proper way to charge a deep cycle battery is....10/15 amps till it reaches 80% full then 2 amps for the rest of it.....

most chargers today that have a deep cycle switch on them to that for you

The rate at which you charge a deep cycle battery depends on what type of deep cycle battery you're charging. Gel cell deep cycle batteries are best charged at low amps (i.e. 2 amps). However, Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) deep cycle batteries can be charged at higher rates. Flooded batteries (wet cell) are different again. Best advice would be to check the specifications for the battery you have and follow the charging instructions provided.

I have 2 gel batteries I use for my electric trolling motor only. They were 1 year old and used on a scooter when I got them. By charging them on a slow trickle charge of 2 amps they have lasted me several years. The trick is to totally drain them before charging or they will pick up a memory and only allow so much charge. Check out the type of battery you have and go by the manufacturers stats for charging it. Hope this helps good luck. B)