trolling motor broken (nf)

nel

Having problems with my minn kota maxxum 55 pound thrust transom mount motor.

Fishing line got tangled in the prop causing the prop to stop spinning. I’ve removed the prop, and fishing line, but there’s still problems with the motor.

1. The prop is sticking out by about ½ inch (there a ½ inch gap between the prop and the motor, so the prop shaft is exposed). Weeds tend to get stuck in there.

2. The motor makes a loud buzzing noise in forward and reverse when I run it out of water. (also noisy when running in the water)

3. When in reverse in the water, the force from the water causes the prop to push out another ½ inch. When that happens, the prop stops spinning and I have to push it back in manually to get it working. Basically, the motor only works in forward (until weeds get wrapped around the exposed shaft).

Motor is out of warranty. Any advice? Estimated cost of repair?

Guest lundboy

sounds weird!

Did you make sure that when you put the prop back on that you seated the prop over the pin that goes through the shaft (at a 90 deg) properly? if not the prop will probably stick out 1/2 inch.

Also you have to be careful because the pin is not fastened it it will drop out.

Other than that you can't do too much damage with line wrap, outside of destroy the seal. If the shaft is sliding in and out easily, I would say there is something else damaged. If it's just a seal, that should be relatively cheap fix. If you are in the GTA call Rocky's in Orillia.

Edited by lundboy

Did you make sure that when you put the prop back on that you seated the prop over the pin that goes through the shaft (at a 90 deg) properly? if not the prop will probably stick out 1/2 inch.

Thats what I was going to say aswell.

Pin is in on the shaft properly and the prop is seated on it right (I seated it on while looking through that 1/2 inch gap).

However, the shaft is not sliding in and out easily. It's kind of stuck...that's why the prop is sticking out a 1/2 inch (hammering it down didn't work)...and when I go into reverse, it flies out further (that's when it locks up).

Here's an idea of what it looked like when I took it apart:

Removed the nut, removed the washer, removed the prop, removed the pin, removed some circular rubber piece that was hanging loose on the shaft, removed a loose circular cardboard piece that was under the loose rubber piece.

I put it back together in the reverse order.

The loose rubber piece and the loose cardboard piece looked like they wasn't suppose to be loose...but I don't really know what it's suppose to look like...

From the look in this picture, there isn't suppose to be a loose rubber/cardboard piece: http://www.ontariofishing.net/news/sept2004-2.html

Guest lundboy

Sounds like something needs to be looked at by a repair shop. Rocky's is the place if you are in the GTA. Other than that check the Minn Kota site for a repair shop closest to you.

If the motor is older it may not be worth repairing. There should be some deals coming up since it's getting close to end of season.

Hope all works out, so you can get back on the water soon!