putting in new plugs

ilario

Hi folks,

I bought new plugs today for an older 18HP evinrude (60's model). Should I clean out the cylinders before I put the new ones in? If so, with what?

The engine has been great, always starts, but I've trolled alot lately and I think it's carbing up. It wasn;t running atfull speed last time out and it didn't sound quite right... a little rough and hesitant. Someone in another post gave been instructions on de-carbing but I don't have the time nor the items to perform this as we are leaving for a cottage tomorrow AM. So, the fellow at the marine dealer advised me to use an Evinrude-Johnson product called "Carburetor and Choke cleaner". He said to spray it into the carb while motor is running. I don't exactly know where I should spray it after looking at my motor with the coweling off.

Any help would be appreciated!

thanks in advance

The reason I asked is that if you wanted to stop in here on your way, I'd be happy to help you with your motor, I have everything right here including the carb and choke cleaner however I suspect that if you make sure you have fresh gas in it and take it out for a good run you will find that it will work fine. If you want to drop by here, give me a call 705-328-0750.

thanks a lot for the offer...very kind of you!

I think Lindsay would be a little out of the way..i got the new plugs, and I'll try soemsythetic oil too.. i also brought along the carb cleaner

well, off to Sandbanks... we're late!!