Removes fish slime from tackle

Refurbishes antique fishing lures

Rejuvenates soft plastic fishing lures

Polishes fishing lures

Prevents fishing flies from rusting

Keeps fishing lures corrosion free

Keeps fishing reels rust-free

Keeps tackle from freezing during ice fishing

A few years ago I did some inquiry about spraying WD-40 on lures and came up with 2 answers

1. WD-40 contains fish oils and some natural ingrediants that fish find attractive. No clue to the truth of this. The good folks at WD-40 never replied to my E-mails.

2. One book by Bernie Taylor, "Big Trout - how to catch them", stated that trout do not have the chemical receptors to detect WD-40 or understand what it actually is. Hence it is a great way to mask negative odors on lures - EG: Cigarette smoke, human sweat, etc

Then the question remains, why not just use commercial fish scent to do both?

I've never tried WD-40 on lures as a scent. On the recommendation from a good friend of mine, the way to clean caked-on salmon-egg juice off a rod was to use WD-40. I sprayed a little on the blank to see the result...In the end, the chemical ate a little into the epoxy finish and left a gritty surface film (even after I quickly wiped it off with a paper towel). IMO, a chemical better left for squeaky garage doors.

I thought WD40 was a cleaning solvent rather than a lubricant or corrosion resisting agent. Ever spray rollerblade bearings with WD40? They seem to rust 3X faster than normal. I stopped using it long ago...I found it always left a gritty surface film behind which I would have to wash off with water and dish-soap anyway.

WD40

Main ingredients, from the material safety data sheet, are:

50%: Stoddard solvent (mineral spirits, also commonly known as dry cleaning solvent)

25%: Liquefied petroleum gas (presumably as a propellant, carbon dioxide is used now to reduce considerable flammability)

15+%: Mineral oil (light lubricating oil)

10-%: Inert ingredients

The German version of the mandatory EU safety sheet lists the following safety relevant ingredients:

60-80%: Heavy Naphtha (petroleum product), hydrogen treated

1-5%: Carbon dioxide

It further lists flammability and effects to the human skin when repeatedly exposed to WD-40 as risks when using WD-40. Nitrile gloves and safety glasses should be used. Water is unsuitable for extinguishing burning WD-40.

There is a popular urban legend that the main ingredient in WD-40 is fish oil. Although it is unknown whether the formula contains fish oil, material safety data sheets for the product show that the main ingredient is Stoddard solvent, not fish oil.[2] WD-40 is, however, used by some sea fishermen as an added scent when fishing with bait.

If you want a natural, inexpensive fish attractant, try cod liver oil.

Edited by Big Cliff