Erie report - July 27 in the AM

icefisherman

Started an hour later then last week (6am) and I am glad I did as I got rain on the way to Burwell. Better in the car then in the boat when raining ;-)

Was nice trip though not same as last Saturday, but those 25 fish days don't happen every day;-)

I am happy, as I got mixed bag of fish today.....4 walleye (lost 4 more), 2 bows( lost two more), one silver bass, 2 perch (yep downrigging ha ha ha), and one sheep head. The last two groups went back into water.

Now I've being wandering last two trips...all that talk about getting fish 2'-10' down...I've tried it hard both times and no such fish...all fish I found both days was DEEP....35'-43' down in 53 fow.

Now, I did get one big eye (28") by accident, as I was letting my line out ang getting ready to clip it to the release. But when trying for hours with dipsy, boards even the lead core - nothing shallow.

Most fish on the rigger. Including the lost ones.

It was very hard fishing the first 4 hours...5-6 feet waves...in my boat the feeling was like inside a nut shell....no fish until 10am...I got water damped on me 6 times...all wet...cold...brrrrr....then the sun came out and the bite/fun started...waves got down to 2-3 feel and were manageable.

Me and one other boat only got out in the morning...wandering how they made it out.

If I was not travelling from 200 km away I would have gone back...

At the end it turn out to be great day but I need a bigger boat for that kind of weather.

Most fish on watermelon again...including one perch and sheep head ;-)

Lost my second watermelon lure as my dipsy got tangled into something huge/unmovable (underwater cable?!?) during the worst waves ...didn't bother trying to go around to unhook it as it would have become bigger mess in those waves and with my lead core line in the water as well. Just pulled hart and good thing I only lost the lure not the dipsy....so much for my dipsy/boards experiments...

It may work for others but not for me....

Downrigger got 90% of the fish the other 10% on the lead core (5 colors) but that was also on the downrigger....

So the name of the game today was DEEP!

Got rain on the way back too....good thing was no rain in the boat...just free waves shower (at least the water was warm - 68 degrees)

Here are few pictures:

One hungry deep water perch:

Image004.jpg

And same silver bass:

Image005.jpg

Biggest fish of the day at 29":

Image006.jpg

And I guess his twin sister was following him because it hit my lure on the surface while trying to hook it to the release. This one 28":

Image007.jpg

And the score for today 6 for 12, not counting the perch, bass, shiphead.

Image008.jpg

Did I say I need a biger boat?;-)) No room for good fish pictures on this one:

One thing I noticed and it explanes why I've lost so many fish (never had such bad score before)....the waves were so bad especially the eyes while floating on the surface been reeled in got hit very hard by the water thorn apart. I keep lossing them right at the net....lost two bows the same way...and two I got got released second after getting into the net.So fish is there, just that the weather doesn't always cooperate.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman