Buckhorn Lakes

drdanskin

Hello everyone! I’ve been watching this site for a couple of days now and its pretty darn nice. So I though i would join, and ofcouse, ask for your help and guidance. Every year around this time we head up north for a week of fishing with the family (my family and my wife’s family) and friends for some relaxation and fishing. Around 20 of us in all. Everyone but me are fishing guru’s. we normally go way up north (North Bay) but this year we are going to Buckhorn (Shady Point Resort). From what I here, bass is the big catch here, not walleye. So to the question. Can anyone give me some pointers for catching some walleye or the biggest bass in the lake? It would be nice to finally out fish the fishermen :D . And remember I don’t know the lingo so if it aint English I’m not gonna get it :wallbash:

Thank everyone and nice place you got here! :worthy:

Walleyes..2 patterns....weed..use bucktail jigs (deer hair-hopefully black/yellow) around weedlines in 10-14 feet or water or deeper rocky current areas (Gannons Narrows) with worm harness, jigs or crankbaits.

Bass...find some deep shorelines (3 feet at shore is great) with overhanging trees or blown in slop and use weedless jigs or senkos.

Really..you can beat these guys by getting up early and trying to get a good topwater bite. Anywhere a weedflat drops into deeper water will be good. Having the hydrographic charts for Buckhorm would really help. Personally..get yourself around SugarBush Island area.

Dan,

I fish upper buckhorn a lot, mainly for bass and muskie. Look for weedy bays that are not too choked up with weeds (south end of the lake or bays on Fox Island). I use a white spinnerbait or chatterbait and I start working from the start of the bay all the way into the apex of the bay. I usually go for maximum speed on the retrieve (the point a which the blade is bulging the water) this will usually produce good numbers of LM and a few good ones. You will catch the odd small muskie this way as well.

Walleye are tough this time of year on buckhorn. I agree with ranger520vx that you best shot is to fish the deep weedlines (Try Scotsman point or Red Rock Island) with a jig and bucktail or grub. Try trolling along the weedline at the slowest possible speed while jigging every 5 seconds or so. If you are out on the water before 7 am then you may be able to catch the odd walleye in the shallow bays.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing the pictures

Just got back from their, bass and perch were hitting just about anything we threw at them.Nothing worth bragging about, we kept some for the table, mostly around the 2lb mark.Bring a nose plug because of all the carp floating around and watch for rocks, not much rain. Small Mepps were working well. Have a good one