My First Toronto Island Report

Hi,

My battery is running low, so here's my brief Toronto Island report.

I took the ferry to Hanland's (sp?) Point and I walked towards the Trout Pond. The pond was accessable, but the lily pad growth was hard to cast over / into. I was using a light bass spinner with a white skirt. No luck there, so I walked towards Center Island. Meet some nice fishermen who talked to me about the Trout Pond and then I moved off to Center Island. There I ran into another fisherman who gave me tips about where to look for pike.

I saw some beautiful carp, and what I think was a small pike that looked like it had koi markings. I then switched to a panfish jig and began poking around the small lagoons (tiny bodies of water off the main channel).

Then I hit the motherload.

A baby (4 - 5 inches?) bass sucked down the jig on the first toss. Yeah!

I smile with pride at my first bass ever. He's dropped back in, and I move along about 10 feet and run into perch!

Perch! Wow! 2 nice colourfull perch about 6-7 inches each. One was feisty, one was hooked deeply, so I did my best to return them as fast as possible. I've never caught perch before, so this was great!

A few more casts in that general location and I ran into what I thought was a goby based on what I could see in the water, but nope ... it was a baby (6 inch) bowfin! And you've probably guessed by now that I've never caught a bowfin either.

Now if I could only manage to find one of their parents...