boat trailer upgrade

Jer

I think it's time for a new trailer for my boat.

I've upgraded my boat twice since buying my first used boat package about 13 years ago. The problem is that I haven't upgraded the trailer and I think I'm really pushing it now with my current rig.

2004 Crestliner 1600 Angler...

gallery_273_73_81575.jpg

The trailer has mainly been used only for winter storage but I want to start to do some more trips to other lakes and really need a trailer that fits my boat better. I've found that it's a real pain to load at a steep ramp. We tried loading it unto my buddy's trailer that came with his Legend 1650 SportFish but my boat is wider and rubbed slightly on the fenders.

I checked with the local Crestliner dealer, and a new trailer runs about $1800. I left my name in case any decent used units came in.

Anybody here with a good trailer (of appropriate size, the boat is 16' with an 83" beam) that they're looking to get rid of?

Its hard to tell from pic but that trailer does look short for boat-transom might not be adequately supported. Is the bow stop post moved as far forward as possible on the trailer? Before upgrading I would find out if your trailer can be 'fitted' to the boat, post moved forward a bit and longer bunks put on. Was the trailer actually fitted to the boat when you upgraded?

Any trailer shop can set this up with beefier rear bunk support to stiffen/support the longer bunks.

Steep ramps are usually fine for bunk trailers, its shallow ramps where having a roller trailer sometimes helps when retreiving.

I'm thinking if post can move up 4-6 inches and you add longer bunks the trailer will work fine. Maybe consider a self centering keel roller to get bow on track when retreiving. Go to trailer shop if your not DIY type and see if it can be fit better.

I've done alot of modifications already to get the boat to fit as best as possible. Raised the winch mast, moved the bunks as wide as possible, lowered the centre keel rollers as low as possible, added side guides, etc. The problem isn't really the length, the boat only overhangs the bunks by about an inch or two (all the boats I've had on it have been 16 footers, but much narrower and lighter rigs). It's more a problem of width and height. The boat sits up very high due to the keel rollers and crossmembers, rather than nicely cradled between the fenders. the boat also overhangs the wheels on each side by about 3". The whole rig looks kinda top-heavy and tipsy to be honest. Really a matter of too much boat...not enough trailer. Only 8" wheels as well, which I don't really like.