Lake O report - Ashbridges July 12

ilario

Launched at 5:30. Water was cold, as has been the case on this side of the lake for days. Only 48' to 52' all AM.

Both kings caught on a MAtrix (smelt colours...don;t know what it's called). Mag spoon.

No takers onlthe lead, but I don't know what the hell I;m doing wiht that toxic stuff!!

anyhow, nice to be back as I haven;t salmon fished very much since I soild my bigger boat a few years ago. I've been out with friends' boats..

Bigger fish was about 16lb to 18lb - nice fight. The smaller fishg about 6lb.

One thing I wanna bring up. Why are so manyu people hung up on water temps???? One guy went out and came bak in immediately b/c of the temps. I used to fish for salmon heavily and one thing I learned is that water temps are way OVERRATED!! Just bthink of the fall when the chinny's are in tght in 70' water... I've caught them at all temps and I think light and bait location is a much bigger factor... my 2 cents!

DSCN1442.jpg

Don't worry about deleting. Besides, you bring up a good question about temperatures.

There have been some drastic swings in temps, I've noticed it on Erie and have recently read about it on Lake O. The last time I was on Lake O it was pretty stable.

People are still catching fish despite the fluctuations but I tend to think it reduces your odds. I find the best fishing comes within a period of stable weather and that probably applies to water temp as well.

I don't think I would turn the boat around and go home if I found the water was a little chilly but I do think it makes for tougher fishing.

-Brian

Hey PP speaking of temps .When I was in Quinte for the canada day long weekend I saw the water temp drop from 74 degrees to 68 degrees I believe this effects the walleye bite but I could not say it would for salmon as I don't target them,

Nice Salmon by the way.MTP