Wood Lake Bracebridge

Lakeshore

Hi everyone, I am heading up to Wood Lake in the Bracebridge Area for the second week in August with family.

I have never been here, would appreciate any information on the lake. I dont know what to expect fish wise, opportunities, tackle???

I have small kids, so I would like to give them an enjoyable week fising wise, and perhaps catch a few for the frying pan myself.

I am limited to canoe and row boat I think. Again any help at all would be immensely appreciated!!

Take Care

Mario

I am not sure off hand what is in the lake but check the consumtion guide and you will get a good idea. Wood lake is a nice lake and there used to be a general store right on Hwy 118 where you can get worms, If you want any other live bait you will have to head to Bracebridge or Gravenhurst. Have fun and good luck. Ryan

Thanks Guys, I appreciate the help.

I found out that the lake holds Walleye and Smallmouth Bass.

I have a canoe at my disposal, what in you opinion would be the best way to cover the greatest amount of water and find fish.

I am partial to crankbaits and most other body bait types (Rapalas) and spinners, spoons.

Thanks

Mario

Evaluate the structure andd look for weedlines in 10 -12 feet of water. Troll Crank baits, Spinners and wormharnesses. Pay attention to time of day as the Pickerel bite will most likeley be at dawn or evening.

Good Luck look forward to the report.

I stayed on Wood Lake the July long weekend but didn't get out to fish much due to having the young ones there and bad weather. When I did get a chance to wet a line I caught some smallmouth and my little guy caught some big rock bass on tubes. Also caught a couple of largemouth in some of the bays on a spinnerbait. Just fish around some of the islands or in

some of the bays and you should hook into something. Look for weed lines and they should produce some fish too!! Good Luck...

Edited by mart

Thanks for all the advice gentlemen. I will sure take it all together when preparing my equipment.

As long as I can catch fish to keep the kids happy, that is the most important.

Didn't know that the lake held largemouth, but good to hear that as I love topwater action, and buzzbaits along weed adges.

Thanks Again

Although I've never fished the lake you mentioned, I did fish a lake close to Bracebridge called Three Mile Lake which also had Bass( Smallmouth and Largemouth )and walleye.

The most productive technique by far was a jig and grub combo. White seemed to produce best for us on most days, and when we could get live minnows, tipping the jig/grubs with minnows was killer. Simple.

Good luck. And if you do keep a few for the frying pan, you'll enjoy 'em. They taste good out of those lakes.

Edited by Mike Pike