Couchiching Help

bucktail

Wondering if any one can give me a few pointers and general areas in Couch to fish.

I have a rented a cottage in the south end near Fern resort from the 22nd to the 29th of July.

It's funny , I hit all the areas around there but I have never spent much time on Couch. Other then a few trips to the Limestones in the fall for smallies.

I am thinking mostly largemouth but on nice days I am willing to run to Simcoe in the north end for smallies if any one wants to throw me a bone.

As always spots are kept in confidence and I only catch and release.

Thanks

Darren

There is a large rocky area between the 2 islands near Fern, I think the 1st. from the narrows and the 2nd. Drift around in there and you will find bass, perch, sunfish and rockies. Tiny spinners jigged, 2-3" white or yellow twisters jigged, white or opaque tubes with varied coloured specks have done the trick too. And don't forget the worms. Can't help you find pike but they are in couch.

Next to the channel buoy near the end of the point that runs out from the narrows is popular also.

In Simcoe a popular perch area is just between the channel and the free boat ramp Just look for the boats out there fishing and you will find the spot.

Be careful of heavy boat traffic on Couch, especially around the channels and the narrows. It gets busy on the weekend and the big cruisers kick up quite a large wake.

Make sure you get a naut chart, I am on Couchiching quite a bit and have seen boats lose props on the rocks in there real easy. Spot go from 15 ft. to a ft without any warning. If you don't get a chart go real slow and have a spotter at front of boat. If Brian is gonna show you peorsonally then I will let him tell ya where to fish. Have fun and be careful, Ryan

Edited by fyrguyry

obey the channel markers and you won't have a problem with shoals. As for LMB, not so easy to find on Couch., their numbers have dwindled, and the smallies have basically taken over. If you have a chart, you shouldn't have any difficulty finding some potential areas. There are some good areas around Chiefs Island, stay on the W,S,or N side, drag tubes (W or Smoke with specks, or Brown crawfish colour)-very slow, spinners (start with B then W). The N channel is good as well, the W side the weeds are thicker, the E side they are thinner and is well suited for tubes. If the bite is slow, go to med. inline spinners. Best times are what I call Breakfast Lunch and Dinner, with evening being the best and it usually starts to pick up around 1800. If you have an opportunity to hook up with misfish...go for it. Most of all, stay safe, have fun, Good luck, and lets see some pics.

Guest Johnny Bass
There is a large rocky area between the 2 islands near Fern, I think the 1st. from the narrows and the 2nd. Drift around in there and you will find bass, perch, sunfish and rockies. Tiny spinners jigged, 2-3" white or yellow twisters jigged, white or opaque tubes with varied coloured specks have done the trick too. And don't forget the worms. Can't help you find pike but they are in couch.

Next to the channel buoy near the end of the point that runs out from the narrows is popular also.

In Simcoe a popular perch area is just between the channel and the free boat ramp Just look for the boats out there fishing and you will find the spot.

Be careful of heavy boat traffic on Couch, especially around the channels and the narrows. It gets busy on the weekend and the big cruisers kick up quite a large wake.

Where is the free boat Launch? Is there parking?How do you get there?

Boatlaunch:

Hwy 12/Atherly Rd. last St. on the right before the bridge that crosses the narrows. Take it and then take an immediate left and follow it to the end there is a gravel shallow boat ramp with limited parking. You can see this ramp from #12 but can't access it directly from the Hwy.

The other end of the lake, Washago, has a similar ramp too. Just find the train station and follow that Rd. to the park at the end of the.

Sorry I can't be more specific with street names, I just know where to go. Kind of like following my nose to where it takes me.

Have a good trip to Couch.

Guest Johnny Bass

Thanks Pike hunter. My tip for couch is also look for weeds that reach the surface for pike and weed, rock or weed sand mix for smallies.

Edited by Johnny Bass