Omni, built in Mississauga

I know, not a rod any self respecting seasoned angler would give a second look but I bought one I believe back in the late 80's maybe early 90's? It was an Omni "Ten Four" Twist. Trophy XL Rigger Rod. It stayed in the boat as a backup and I had to resort to it one day as my Fenwick Stiks got left behind. I fell in love on the first hookup. Rated at 10-25lb and spooled with Ande green 15lb it handled 30lb+ chinooks like butter. 

I later had the rod redone with straight guides for river run salmon on the Sydenham River. Some of you may remember the heydays. Insane amounts of big Chinooks. I used it for years with 10lb test until it vanished do due to my carelessnes. Of all the rigger rods I have owned over the years, it's my favorite. I have only found 3 since then and recently sent one down the road with a friend. 

Forward to these days and I cant find any info on Omni rods. I currently fish Chinooks with Fenwick Legacy spinning rods and Okuma baitrunner reels spooled with 8lb floro. If it's crowded, I break out the Ten Fours. I normally stay away from the crowd of boats because I like to fish lighter gear. I prefer a good battle over numbers.

So my question is, did they build spinning rods in the 9-10 foot range? I've seen a couple old 7' that were nice soft rods, but too short. Nothing I put my hands on that comes off the rack now days feels right to me. Even my old River Runner, Wild River, Canadian Northern all seem to be better rods than anything I can buy now.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           There has to some hanging in a shed somewhere, or in the forgotten corner of a basement?  

Omni.jpg

Edited by slwndwn
add photo
  • Like 1

Have you looked at the new "Onchor" rods from St. Croix ? Nice sticks...they're replacing the Avid Steelhead & Salmon line-up. They have a 9ft MH spinning rated for 10 to 20lb that sounds like it may fit the bill. Fishing World in Hamilton has a few models on the rack if you want to wiggle one...in fact they have a big sale on until tomorrow.

The issue with most spinning rods in that length and power is that they are fast action....and for downrigging you really want more of a slower parabolic action. Having something tied up custom may be your best solution.

Edited by CrowMan

I'm just having a second look at your photo and something else came to mind. At a few of the lodges/outfitters I have been to on the West Coast, they use a brand labeled "Trophy XL" for their mooching rods for Salmon. I believe it's a local Canadian brand mostly sold in the BC market. They also make conventional and spinning rods. Perhaps "Omni" was their distributor in eastern Canada back then ? Fred's in Abbotsford BC carries them.

https://shopfreds.ca/trophy-xl/

Checked out Freds, thanks but not the Omni. 

I have a variety of built rods in a variety of lengths from 5' to 15'. The current rods I use for spring salmon are the Fenwick Legacies rated 2-10lb. I run 8lb on them but they dont care for below freezing temps in the riggers. I'd like to find something else so they can retire. I'm hoping to scrape up a couple old Omni's or maybe Browning's. Very slow rods. Not ideal for hook sets downrigging, but it's alot more fun than a club with rope that most people use. Yes I frequently have to chase fish down. lol

I had a fella here that I had tying rods almost till the day he passed. He built me a couple 7' acid wrap Lamiglas rods I used to run 6lb on the riggers. Those would disappear in the water when you cranked down on them and the cork would bend when you were fighting fish. Tons of fun.  Lorne Fletcher, he was pretty well known around different parts of Ontario. Not so pretty rods near the end but he still enjoyed it, so I kept going to him. Crusty as they come, but a good guy. 

Like you slwndwn, I still have a couple of old Fenwick Rigger Sticks with the twist guides...great rods, but a little heavy for my taste too.

Over 20 years ago, I bought two Sage 10.5 ft GSH 3106LB rods. They're essentially west coast style centre pin rods. A little heavier than we typically use here in the Great Lakes.  I have used them for exactly that with float reels on trips to the Skeena system, and one especially memorable trip to the Dean. However, the primary reason I got them was to use them as rigger rods here in Ontario. I have Islander Mooching reels on them. The fight with a single-action reel, and the ability to "palm" the reel when a King decides to head for the other side of the lake, makes Salmon fishing a blast. They really won't handle heavy set-ups that well....like Spin Doctors or Twinkie Rigs, and I certainly wouldn't run wire or Dipsy's on them...but for straight up spoons or body baits off the riggers they're perfect. A lot more fun than cranking on a Tekota.

Anyway, you may want to take a look at float rods...they certainly have that desirable slow action...and there's a number of models in the 11ft range. An old school 9 to 10 ft noodle rod would also probably be something to look at..

I will say, that if you're using the "baitrunner" function of your spinning reels to let out line when you drop the balls, it can become problematic. Line twist will become an issue. Just speaking from my own experience using a Shimano Thunnus that I own during some offshore salt water trips down south. It's better to just open the bail if you're letting out any considerable amount of line...but then again, it's the same problem when a fish makes a long run.

Edited by CrowMan

I take an ol' fella out with me occasionally that uses nothing but mooching reels for rigging. He doesnt own a level wind at all.

As you know, there are limitless options for rods, but I have this stuck in my wee brain for now. It has to be resolved. lol

I have experienced very little line twist using the run feature on the reels over the last 10 years or so. Maybe because I face into the wind and cast out a long lead? 

• Like 2