777 Rice Lake Report

Steelcat

Today is 7/7/07, lots of people are getting marry because of 777 (consider the luckiest day of the century), but for us, it's a special day for fishing :P We arrived at the boat rental at around 8am, got out to the lake at 815am. We immediately went to our usual fishing spot, but today there was Peterborough Open 2007 at Golden Beach Resort, therefore most of our spots were already "scanned" by the bass boats. The wind was pretty strong from West, and we can see white caps in the middle of the lake. Because of the wind and current, we had no choice but to drop our anchor. After 15 minutes of "drifting" we managed to catch our first fish which was a Perch.

P7071959a.jpg

After this Perch, I managed to land a couple Largemouth (12 and 14 inches).

P7071960a.jpg

P7071961a.jpg

Then a nice size Crappie 10 inches

P7071962a.jpg

With a 4 inches grub, we were surprise when my brother caught a small Sunfish.

P7071964a.jpg

Because of the fishing tournaments, there were a lot of fishing pressure, the action was pretty slow at our location. After another hour of drifting, my dad suddenly yelled out fish on~ When we landed the Largemouth, we measured it at 16.5 inches.

P7071965a.jpg

After this big baby, the action totally stopped. So we decided to head to our 2nd location. Right before we arrived, we already saw 2 bass boats trolling one after another. Since we already arrived the area, we might as well gave the place a try. On my first cast, a deformed Largemouth was caught.

P7071966a.jpg

Then several Rock bass. They fight like crazy with their average size at around 8 inches.

P7071967a.jpg

Another hour had passed, and we only managed to catch 4 Largemouth, but they were all dings. Since we weren't able to catch any more larger bass, we immediately drove to our last spot, but same thing happened as several bass boats were already trolling along the shoreline. We gave ourselves an hour, if there's no fish, then we'll head back to the dock. Once again on my first cast, a small Largemouth. As you can see in the photo, this bass was recently caught.

P7071968a.jpg

After this ding, I cast my lure back to the same location to see if the bass were grouping or not. As the lure dropped into the water, my line started to move. I set the hook and the battle began~! It was fighting like mad with my drag on full tension, the fish was still able to pull out tons of line. After several minutes of fighting, we landed it on the boat. It was 17.5 inches Largemouth.

P7071969a.jpg

With the warm weather for the past several days, we could feel that all the fish were more active and had more energy.

Here's a Smallmouth ding my brother caught.

P7071972a.jpg

Overall, we caught a total of 20 Bass, 3 Crappies, 1 Perch, 5 Rock Bass, 2 Sunfish. With the tournaments today, I'd say we had a pretty good result.

I ran to the Peterborough 2007 Open Result board and took this photo.

P7071973a.jpg

Big fish was 4.82 lbs Smallmouth with the 2nd Big fish at 4.80 lbs Largemouth.

1st place weight in at 18.40 lbs

2nd place weight in at 17.60 lbs

3rd place weight in at 17.58 lbs

Today we were using both slow(jig/grub, senko) and fast(spinnerbait) presentation.

sweet buckets rice lake always amazes me despite all the pressure it recieves it never fails to produce.was there friday night went 4 for 5.got three buckets one eye and missed mr tooth,the musky came up a little short on my spinner.taking the boy there tomorrow not sure how im gonna make out cause i have to modify my tecniques for the little one.probally gonna float some dew worms gonna try to get him to use some senkos cause there so easy to use.just for fun and sun tomorrow hopefully he gets his first decent bass.

Hmmmmm.....was planning on visiting friends at Golden Beach Resort today....was that a one day tourney? Thinking may be no parking at launch, busy getting out....pulling kids on tube starting from beach close to launch not good if their running tourney from there.

Thanks for the report Steelcat. Looks like you had a full day out there with lots of fish.

I especially liked their creative way of spelling Peterborough on the tournament board.