All this trout from shore action

Hooked

I was at Chapters last week with my son and I started reading the June-July In-Fisherman mag. Excellent article on how an onshore wind can improve your catches and why. I believe the article is called 'The Stability Zone -- Finding Great Lakes Salmon & Trout' by Mark Chmura. Funny thing is, not that long after reading that article, I'm reading how bly is slaying trout from shore. Think I"m gonna have to get out there too. Too bad bly's and ccmt's onshore wind is my offshore wind. :mellow:

Edited by Hooked

Hey there Hooked!

The funny thing is that fish rarely read magazines...LOL. Seriously though, the last2 report where bly caught browns, it was a north wind...so an offshore wind for us. I haven't read that article, but I wonder if it talked about water temps as well...since they are a cold water fish, they may be in the area regardless of the wind direction. One thing for us is that when it's an onshore breeze, it's a south wind, which in general means warm air temps to heat the water. I'd suspect that you are in a better location when it's a north wind...you get both the cooler air temps and onshore breeze! Good luck out there!

For a big lake like Ontario, I think that even a cool breeze from the SW will still result in warmer water on the north shore. The warm surface water across the like will end up stacked on the north shore.

Likewise a warm breeze from the north will result in cold water from the deeps being drawn up on the north shore.

For a big lake like Ontario, I think that even a cool breeze from the SW will still result in warmer water on the north shore. The warm surface water across the like will end up stacked on the north shore.

Likewise a warm breeze from the north will result in cold water from the deeps being drawn up on the north shore.

Makes sense DouG!! I never thought of it that way before. I just look online to see what the temps are in my area. They have gone up from mid 40's to mid 60's in just a few short days.

Stoty, didn't mean to be so harsh, but a lot of people just want to know where to go when the bite is hot. Meanwhile other people have put in the time and effort. It's just....well not fair really.

douG, Cliff you guys are bang on with the winds, nothing like fishing in shorts and a t-shirt and catching cold water fish in the middle of summer from shore. Browns tend to hang out in shallower than the Chinooks so often they will show up first. However, an extended offshore wind can bring those Chinooks and everything else that swims out deep in close within casting distance.

Once mid-August hits, it can be productive at night for Chinooks after a rain or offshore wind. The key is being there at the right time, and you guys certainly cashed in on that with the Browns in July

It's always a treat reading your reports, keep them coming.

One thing you don't hear about a lot in the summer is people out in boats trolling consistently catching browns. They must be in pretty close to shore, and the guys going after rainbows or chinooks are out too deep to incidentally catch the Browns.

Tony