A day On Long Lake (Apsley)

wask

I have been eying Long Lake for quite a while as it borders on crown land and i was hoping to put together a camping trip for my youth group there. I didn't want to do canoeing back in there sight unseen, so I rented a boat and gave it a shot. Sorry, only a solo trip, so no pics on this one.

It is a deep, clear lake that is stony. In fact, if the cottages were nicer, I would have sworn it was Stony.

The difference that I can tell in my limited experience on Stony is that this lake appears to be much much deeper on average. The average depth is 20 feet with some spots over 100 feet according to the guy that maintins the ramp and cottages/ campground. The water was really clear as well.

I started out around 9am and finished until around 530 (weird rental times). Great day. I caught probably 40 bass in all, the majority in the ten inch range, but I landed three 3+ largemouth and one really nice 4lb smallie that was like catching a mac truck.

This is really a great lake, no HP restrictions and it appears little traffic on it as well. I only saw one other boat all day long. It isn't a huge lake, but there are lots of bass in it apparently. The guys told me there were trout in there too. I guess with the water depth what it is that is possible.

I did see several canoers on the lake. You can portage to any number of other lakes from long lake if that is your game.

If anyone is looking for directions or anything, let me know. It's worth the drive, it was a great day.

Once again, sorry for the lack of pics on this one...