Lund factory snap covers

b_cdot

I use to have a Crestliner fishhawk and I had the J hook cover. It was exposed to 40degree temps and -20degree temps. After 2 years it got brittle and started ripping around the gunwales. I now have a Lund pro v with factory snap cover. Im looking at it outside covered in snow. The boat is going into storage next week. I'm wondering if this cover will give me the same problems. Any of you with similar covers have any problems. I feel that since I dropped the extra bucks on the better boat this cover should be top of the line. Anyone have trouble with these covers going to sh&t? Am I playing with fire now that i have it covered with ice and snow? 

Edited by b_cdot

Hey B,

In my experience, UV rays will degrade any boat cover and the stress points like gunwale areas will go first.  One thing I do now to extend the life of my boat cover is to put an oversize tarp over the boat and trailer for extended periods of storage on land.  I use tent pegs on the corners to hold it down and is basically a pup tent with the benefit of water running off without pooling.

KawarthaGuy

Absolutely get a sacrificial cover.  The last boat I owned had a $1000 snap on fitted trailering/mooring cover.  I bought a clearance priced princess auto cover to throw over top and it kept the expensive cover in good condition. The new to me Starcraft has fitted snap on mooring and trailering covers and I went to bass pro as soon as I saw a sale on covers and bought a cheapy to throw overtop and protect the expensive custom stuff.  You won't regret it.  My buddy has a 2012 pro v and the factory cover is starting to show wear but hasn't started breaking down yet for what it's worth.