Cuba Surf Fishing!

Doctrt

Hey Guys,

Just thought I would throw this out there. There's no better place on the net for advice, so any help would be much appreciated. I'm likely going to be staying in Cayo Coco (Oasis or Melia) in a few weeks, and would like to do some surf fishing. What can I expect? What should I bring? Any info on the resorts? Thanks in advance.

Tim

Look for current on the tides...choke points...and moving water. Predators will be there. You'll need a leader. White and silver are the colours and you'll want to burn your lures. Heavy relatively straight spoons, white deer hair jigs, everything with very strong hooks. If the lure is meant to wobble a lot I'd leave it at home. Stay away from darker colours especially black. Good neoprene boots, great polarized sun glasses, and a heavy sun screen are all musts. Grease reels before you go, wash everything after you get back, rust forms in hours. For slack water pools poppers work well, also surface baits can be explosive.

Barracuda! two inch Silver spoons, X-Raps and white Gulp sinking minnows are killer.

You can also expect jacks and other reef fish liek blue runners most likely. If it is anything like fishing in th eVirgin Islands you are in for a treat!

anegadajack1thumb.jpganegadajack3thumb.jpganegadajack2thumb.jpgsmallbarracudathumb.jpg

anegadacudamouththumb.jpganegadacuda1thumb.jpganegadacuda2thumb.jpganegadacuda3thumb.jpg

anegadahorseeyethumb.jpg

Edited by mepps

You won't have to worry about fish...the guy's right...the predators will be there (especially at night!). Some spoons, Rapala's, jigs and topwater lures, bait hooks and bobbers. I suggest that you change the hooks and the eyelets for something beefier and corosion resistant as even a small tarpon can rip them out (I speak from experience). Make sure to have some heavier gear, preferably a baitcasting outfit in addition to a spinning rod. Another thing that you should definitely get is a Petzl head lamp. This can make for terrific fishing in low light or at night when all the monsters drift in.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the help. I've definitely got the tackle for the beasts down there, I've just got to find them. Below is a pic of my biggest freshwater Cuda. Hope to best that one next week. Again, thanks for all the great advice.

T

muskiesept0206002.jpg

NH krystal was awesome, caught over 35 cudas, a few snappers including one about 8 pounds and jumped two nice tarpon. get a storm chug bug in blue and silver, white gulp on a small jigheadcast and reel it fast, silver spoons, zara spooks worked fast... of you need more info PM me

guides are pretty cheap and you can fish the flats for bonefish, permit and tarpon. the big bridge is good for fishing at night. I did most my fishing when the fam went to sleep and it was excellent, did not have to travel far