pflueger president bait caster

jimmer

Just wondering if anyone has one of these bait casters? I noticed mine started to slip the other day when I was hoisting a bass over the side. I have the drag cranked right tight, but it slips a couple of feet when lifting the fish. It doesn't do it all the time, but starting to bother me now. Any ideas of what it is?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

I'll bet your line is slipping on the spool. If you're using braid, do you have a length of mono at the spool?

Grab a Sharpie marker and put a small dot on the edge of the spool and another on the line right beside it. Give it a yank and make it slip...if the dots don't line up, and I suspect they won't, your line is slipping on the spool.

Edited by grimsbylander

Does your handle walk backwards ?

Also, my friend has a president spinning with the braid ready rubber tabs and he backed it with mono. For some reason, it slips only about a foot under heavy load....

Edited by buick14

Could be that the (typically felt) drag washer is just too compressed and needs to be replaced. I did this to a bunch of my reels (replaced w carbon drag washers) and can't believe how smooth they are now, especially the ones that had felt washers before.

So I guess your handle does not walk backwards, so your anti reverse bearing is fine.

If you store your reel with the drag tight, the drag and drag spring washers could be pooched as stated above.

If you have a tendency to drop oil into your reel, it could have tainted the drag stacks. You can possibly service the drag , but buying carbon for $15 as stated above is an excellent upgrade.