Shimano Calcutta D

Andy

I have not used the Calcutta D but have a Calcutta Conquest 100 and 200 which are amazing reels. The CQ is a little more refined than the Calcutta D but the body is essentially the same. Unfortunately, that is where the similarities end.

The 400 will palm more like a 300 sized Calcutta B. The reason being is that the non handle sideplate is not the same size at the handle side. Shimano USA also thought that it would be a great idea to only have the brakes accessible on this model by removing a few screws. The reason being was that they believed most of the fisherman in our market are a "set it and forget it" user of these brakes (if you order a D from Japan, they have access to the brakes easier).

The drag star is located on the outside of the handle making the reel once again feel smaller than it is. It also has x shipped which should provided a little more rigidity over the B.

I know a few who have them and they are good reels. If I was to pick between the B or the D, especially in the size range you're looking at, I would probably go with the D but I doubt you can go wrong with either.

The D is a better reel and feels nicer in the hand because of it's smaller size. Not sure it's worth the $500 whatever price tag though. I have one and have sent it in for new gears and other things a few times, but I'm pretty hard on it I guess and use it a lot. If you're getting a deal go for it.

I have a 200d and I think incredibly highly of it. Excellent caster

Factory it's set to 3 brakes on, I opened mine changed them to 2 and never had to worry again. Just adjust with the spool tension.

Highly recommend, I like it better than my 100 and 200 te models ...gobs of power too