Terminal tackle for bass

evster

Hey all!

I have been fishing bass for the past 15 years about once or twice a year when I go camping or get the opportunity. This year I have changed gears into being a little more hardcore, trying to get out every weekend at least. Anyway, this has led me to pay more attention to how I am rigging up my presentation. I noticed (thanks to this forum) that many use flourocarbon leaders for pike and walleye fishing. Does this apply for pretty much everything including bass? I use power pro line and am worried that tying it directly to a jig head, or tying a hook and worm right onto it might not be the best idea. So for each of the following would you suggest using a flouro leader or just tying right onto the braid?

1) jig (flipping or jig with a plastic on it)

2) finnesse worms

3) spinner baits

4) crankbaits

5) live bait

Also, for the cases where leaders are used do you tie the leader directly to the braid or do you put a snap on the braid and a loop on the end of the leader? This week i'll be getting rigged up for this coming weekend, so looking for some pointers!

Thanks!

Evan

I would really only suggest usinmg a fluoro or mono leader in the case of a finesse worm or live bait... Braids/superlines are great with cranks, SB's and Jigs cause you can rip em through weeds and the bass dont seem to mind the braids... i udually tie my leader directly to my braid with a U to U or a Blood knot...

I've fished for Bass for a L O N G time and have always tied my line, be it Mono or Braid directly on the lure,Spinnerbait or Worms. The more connections you have, the more weak links. IMO the Bass, being ambushers dont see the line anyway :oops:

Hey Evan hope all is well. My recomendations are always tie direct but for your examples above go with:

1) jig (flipping or jig with a plastic on it) - Tie direct and braid in 30++ willl be fine

2) finnesse worms - floro in 10-14lb test try the new Gamma

3) spinner baits - in weeds 30 lb braid open water 12 lb Gamma copolymer

4) crankbaits - you know which one I use for this

5) live bait - floro in 6- 10lb but you don't need to use live bait for bass.

Depending on the body of water you are fishing you either need fluorocarbon (Eg. Lake Simcoe) or don't (Eg. most Northern tea-stained lakes)

Don't fork out the extra cash for flouro if you are primarily fishing stained water, or night fishing :lol:

Tony