Hello to the Forum and how mice saved our lives...

Hello All:

Just a quick note of introduction as my dialup connection is running pretty well tonight....I picked the name "Blue Pickeral" ( as seen in my avatar) as this is the first fish I caught while figuring out 'structure' etc. on my own with the help of a fishing book. Not a large fish (3lbs. or so) but it was blue in colour and blind in one eye. Tasted good though. It was caught in the Montreal River around Twin Bear Camp a few years ago and if you're going, PM me and I'll tell you exactly where to tie up your boat and how much rope to let out!

My wife and I are fairly nonchalant fisherpeople....we like being out in the boat and having a line out for the atmosphere. Catching a fish and getting a picture before releasing it is a bonus. We think that having a fish finder is sort of 'cheating' however as the lakes contain fewer fish these days, might just have to save up for one. We usually get out for a week a year, sometimes two, at a lodge or resort.

Now my mice story....we have a Lund SSV16 utility boat which over the years we've added things...bimini top, mooring cover, side console, auto bailer etc. and when we upgrade from a 25 hp four stroke to a 40hp four stroke, I moved the battery midships from the rear to evenly distribute weight in the boat. I used 0 guage booster cables to connect the battery to the motor in about a 10 foot run. Worked well, or so I thought, for the past 3-4 years.

After no problems with mice while storing the boat outdoors under cover of a tarp over the winter, this spring for some reason, the boat was inundated with mice. About 15 were collected on those large sticky traps. Needless to say, there was quite a large stinky mouse mess in a few tool compartments I built in. Nothing to do but rip everything apart including seats and wiring runs, whereupon I discovered that the insulation have flaked off my 0 guage wire! (no the mice did not chew it) In an aluminum boat, we might have been in for a shock.

Well, this week was off to the marine store and got some marine grade battery cable and this weekend's job is to put it all back together. I could almost forgive the mice, except for the stink they left behind!

Hello Right back at you Blue Pickeral...

Who would think to check something like that?? Sometimes mice are a blessing, although not one of my favorite little creatures.

Cheers

jen