PiranhaMAX 170 questions

adam lancia

Quick couple of questions about a used PMAX 170: I'm going to be mounting the transducer on my cousins pontoon boat, where would it be best to mount it? Will I be fine to run it off the battery that is used to start the motor? It looks like it doesn't draw very much power but I don't know how up to snuff the battery on his pontoon is. Any pictures of the transducer mounting on a pontoon boat would be greatly appreciated, as well as a source for the mount (it wasn't included). Thanks in advance!

Can't help with the ducer mounting, but I have the portable version of this unit (greyscale) and it's a great unit for the price. I can bring it on a week long fishing trip and not have to charge the battery once. You can definitely hook it up to the cranking battery.

I did a little searching around for alternate mounting ideas in case my cousins pontoon doesn't have a bracket at the end of one of the logs. I came across this: https://www.sail.ca/en/humminbird-mhx-xnpt-montage-portable-180352Would that work with my transducer? If so, are there any potential pitfalls to using it on a pontoon?

John, that looks like exactly what I'm after! Unfortunately, it doesn't look like they carry anything like that in Barrie. Where else either in the city or on the way to Halliburton might I find something like that?

Edited by adam lancia

John, that looks like exactly what I'm after! Unfortunately, it doesn't look like they carry anything like that in Barrie. Where else either in the city or on the way to Halliburton might I find something like that?

You could try Radio World. Unfortunately, you may have to order it. I think it is more of a specialty item; there probably are not very many places that will keep in stock.

I use a chunk of Sherwood and a c clamp, poor man's version of what you're looking at. Works just fine.

Yanno something... My cousin is a contractor, I'm sure he has some 2x4 pressure treat treat lying around somewhere. And I'll be stunned if he doesn't have a c-clamp or two kicking around.

Thanks both of you for the ideas!

Epoxy some puck board to one of the logs and screw the deucer into that.

I'll need to see if we can get the back end out of the water, I don't think he had a trailer for it.

A clamped on wooden mount might be the best option considering the lack of a trailer.

Thanks guys!!!

Yanno something... My cousin is a contractor, I'm sure he has some 2x4 pressure treat treat lying around somewhere. And I'll be stunned if he doesn't have a c-clamp or two kicking around.

Thanks both of you for the ideas!

Pressure treated would can damage aluminum. Cedar or hard wood may be a better choice.

• 2 weeks later...

Where can I find a mount kit for the transducer and a power cable for the head unit? I'm going to call SAIL once they open as well as Bass Pro and Radioworld. Failing those, where else could I find those items on short notice...? Thanks!