How to catch those carps?

mikeymikey

Hello there...

Several days ago I went to Toronto Island and there was a lot of carps right at the top of the water just sitting in groups.

Is it possible to catch those carps?

Some sort of fly top water ?

Heck even all the catfish I seen was swimming around topwater.

--

Off the topic a little but...

Whatever you do, avoid flying out from or connecting from Philadelphia airport.

It is just nightmare there... that airport is the place to be if you want major delay for no reason.

Edited by mikeymikey

:Gonefishing:Yeah h h h . . . . the Island carp weren't the only ones bein' unreasonable yesterday! Port Hope (NOT a 'secret' carp spot) had lotsa carp in the shallows, just sunning themselves! I didn't get there till nearly 09:00, set up just south of the footbridge, and had one in about 10 minutes . . . average Ganny size . . . . 16 . . . maybe 17 pounds, and a second one about 10 minutes later managed to throw my barbless hook with a serious barrage of head shakes!! THEN things got interesting . . . light taps . . . BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP . . . 2' of line screams out . . . NOODNIK!! Went to a second rod . . . P-line . . . no feeder . . . same thing. Went to a THIRD rod, barb, #4 hook . . . held rod . . . tap . . . tap . . . tap? Set rod in pod, opened drag (Stradic 6000, not Bait-Runner) threw pineapple boilie on hair rig . . . several 'hit & runs,' couldn't get a decent hook-set on 'em. Water started to clear, and I now could see little pods of these monsters just slowly cruise past! I walked up past the footbridge . . . the shallows were right full of these guys, just enjoyin' the sunshine . . . I lost count at 40!! I sneaked over behind some willows, cast a boilie with a small sinker in among 'em . . . . they scattered, then regrouped, leaving a perimeter of about 15' to 20' around my boilie & line. I tried several casts among 'em . . . each time with the same result! Goin' back today, gonna try the early morning thing here today. But . . . when these guys ain't feeding . . . the touch noodnik! Gonna try a float on 'em this time!! <_<

I ran into a same problem this last weekend.

Went to the nearby lake and there were tons of carp just sunbathing around.

So what i decided to do was put some corn on a hook and get a float and just cast it between them.

Very first cast, i have a fish on and i lose it.

I am a fairly superstitious guy and whenever i get a fish on on the first cast and i lose it, i never seem to catch anything else.

But anyways i kept on casting, couple of times they hit a float but they wouldnt touch my bait.

Maybe you`ll have better luck.

I haven't been carping for very long, but there have been plenty of days where I witness what you did. My experience is that they are not feeding. I'll usually try for them for a while, and then give up and cast further away in deeper water....I find the ones cruising the deeper waters are more likely to be feeding.

Carp experts out there...am I off base here? I hope so, cause I'd like to get the ones that I can see RIGHT in front of me like that!!! LOL.

There is a theory: if they see you, you won't catch them. Always applies to me (applies even when they don't see me <_< )

If they are close to the surface, they are probably not in the mood of feeding. You can try a few things to trigger them to hit. A lot people have had great success free lining bread. (squeeze the bread into a small ball, hide the hook in it, cast it out without any weight or float). Normally you want to try to cast this thing to where they will pass, not where they already are.

Or you can throw some sweet corns where they are but don't throw your line in there. Observe their reaction. If they don't feed, there's no point trying. Sometimes the food trigger them into feeding mood. When that happens, almost everything catches.

Disclaimer: me no expert, just like to share the little thing I know and get your feedback.