Boat battery setup - and best place to buy batteries?

wask

Hey guys - bought a boat off of Kijiji with no battery, but 125HP Mariner.

Also has a fish finder, radio and of course running lights.

Do I need two battery setup to run all of this stuff?

A starting and a deep cycle or can I run it all off of one battery?

Also - where is the best place to buy? Of course I'm looking to save money but if warranty outweighs savings, then I'm open to that.

Thanks in advance - I've only really ever owned a small boat that didn't really need a battery.

You definitely need a battery. A single marine starting battery should be able to handle it. Walmart and Costco have good value for your money.

Stupid question -

As the motor runs does it charge the starting battery? I assume the answer is yes - but like I said, I'm a real noob at this.

Thanks

Edited by Wask

A 125hp will. Some of the smaller motors do not have alternators to charge a battery. But larger motors will come with an alternator to charge the battery. As long a you are not running an electric trolling motor, the main motor should keep your battery charged.

^^^ What Mister said. People think because the outboard can deliver charge to a battery it will keep a battery fully charged. Then they run 10 mins down the lake at half throttle and fish for 2 hours while listening to the radio, running graphs and using livewells.

For what you're doing, get one decent battery and put it on a charger after every use.