Help with DSC set up

spincast

Looking for some wiring help: want to connect a HDS 7 gen 2 to a Standard Horizon DSC GX1000S VHF

Here's what the Standard Horizon connection chart shows:

White - External Speaker (+) ................ Connect to externla 4 Ohm Audio speaker

Shield - External Speaker (-) .............. Connect to 4 Ohm Audio speaker

Blue - NMEA Input (+) ............... Connect to NMEA (+) output of GPS

Green - NMEA ground (-) .............. Connect to ground of GPS

Purple - NMEA Output (+) ................ Connect to (+) input of GPS

Here's what the HDS Chart shows;

HDS Device

Green RX (-) Transmit (-)

Orange RX (+) Transmit (+)

Shield (Ground) Ground

Yellow TX (+) Receive (+)

Blue TX (-) Receive (-)

This is a NMEA 0183 set up. I tried pretty well everything I could think of based on these descriptions, and the radio continued to read NO POS. From the radio green purple and blue are a set, white and shield are a set.

Both radio and FF need NMEA 0183 version 2.0 or higher to communicate. The HDS is set to communicate by default

anybody done a similar set up?

Okay here is it, mine is a GX1000S as well hooked to Lowrance HDS:

It is not at all clear in either manual but you hook the Radio NMEA Input (+) [bLUE] to the HDS TX (+) [YELLOW]. Connect the Radio NMEA (-) [GREEN] to the ground wire on the HDS and you're good to go. Just double checked my wiring on board to be sure and that's all there is to it. The purple wire on the radio is not used nor are the wires for the external speaker.

Hope this helps.

Edited by G.mech

G.Mech - I tip my hat to you sir, thanks :clapping:

for those who may be about to venture forth into the land of tiny wires and fat fingers ....
get to the the NMEA 0183 setup menu. on my HDS gen 2, this is in the network menu in settings. Make sure the tick is activated - I was under the impression from another source that this came turned on as a default setting - so I didn't really spend any time looking for it before someone pointed me in that direction.....
Then -
Green from VHF to Shield from GPS
Blue from VHF to Yellow from GPS.
Badda boom, badda PING, POS on the radio.

Bravo Zulu (well done) to you on the hookup! While I was crawling under my dash to verify the wiring on my boat, I found the GPS wire that came loose on my Smartcraft gauges last year and now they are firing on all cylinders too! I think it was good karma because I had no real intention on sorting that one out without a good reason.

Edited by G.mech