Insurance(NF)

ufish2

Hey everybody just trying to get opinions about insurance. I presently have home and auto(2 cars) insurance through a broker for the last 10 years (with the same company). I have never had a claim and no problems, thank goodness knock on wood !!! but my rates seem to be high. I decided to get some quotes and found out that I can save about $350 all together going through someone else.

I don't know if i can mention the name here on the Forum but it is Allstate Insurance who gave me the better quote, I have no experience with them!! Does anyone on the forum have experience with Allstate Insurance? I would love to hear good and bad, if possible. I feel i should be loyal with my present Insurance company but money is money. Does it pay to switch or will the years of loyalty with my present provider help me in the long run?

I hope I'm not breaking any rules by mentioning their name, Any help would be great from you guys!!

Thanks again!!!

I dont mean to upset any insurance brokers that may be on here but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

do you honestly believe that your loyalty to a mega million $ company will mean anything at all ifand when god forbid, you need and want them?

they will stretch you out and short change you any which way they can to save a buck, and if anyone tries to tell you different well my opinion is there a fool !

you may get so called discounts from your current insurer based on long term, but chances are your gonna get the same down the road if you switch, why not go to your broker and tell them you have a competive quote and see if they will match it, lets see how loyal they are to you for $350.oo

sorry to rant a bit but a mute point for me personally with one big named company say no more

JMO

Cheers

HOWCUM . . . . my collision & comprehansive insurance went up marginally when I bought a new van 3 years ago, because its 'replacement value' was significantly higher than the 3 year old one I was replacing . . . . $30,000.00 V S $15,000.00, which does make SOME sense? But, now THIS van is 3 years old, and its replacement value is about $15,000.00 . . . . no DECREASE in insurance, so I'm still paying to insure a $30,000.00 vehicle? But . . . . . you can bet that if I get a new one now, I'll get the ol' song & dance about newer vehicle . . higher value, more likely to be stolen blah . . . blah . . . . blah, etc! Luckily my theft insurance is low . . . . who th' 'ell in their right mind would steal a Dodge Caravan? But for the record, I pay $1550.00 a year with Economical, $2 million P L & P D, $500.00 deductible collision, $300.00 deductible comprehensive, allowed up to 30,000 klicks a year, and 20% business use to drive to & from my postal walk. I have checked around, my last claim was in 1990, last HTA infraction 1978, (I just don't get caught!) and my postal code takes in a VERY high claim ratio . . #401 / #404 right smack in the middle . . . . NO O O O BODY else can come close!

P. S.

How many of you knew you can pay higher rates just because of the area you live? They use the postal code in your area to determine the risk factor . . . if there are a lot of collision, theft or vandalism claims in the area which you live . . . . YOU PAY MORE!! I saw a segment on CTV's 'CONSUMER ALERT' where a family's insurance jumped by almost 40% just because they moved to an area of the city with a high claim ratio, compared to where they'd lived before! For 3 vehicles . . . over $1500.00 per year extra!

who th' 'ell in their right mind would steal a Dodge Caravan?

The Caravan is the one I see recovered the most. It's amazing but if someone is complaining about someone leaving the scene of a crime in a grey caravan 90% of the time it's stolen. Has something to do with the ignitions being so easy to punch.

As for insurance, get a couple quotes and then ask your current company to beat them. I did that a couple years ago. For some strange reason my rates dropped by a few hundred a year when I told them I was not renewing with them since I had found a better deal.

Cheap isn't always the best.

I went cheap about 20 years ago. Some clown hits me, his fault, do you think my company looked after me? NO! I had my car in a shop and a courtesy car in my driveway before the adjuster even called me back after repeated phone calls to them.

Actually I just arrived home and walked in the door when the phone rang, it was my adjuster. She's all cheerful and I told her outright, that I have a rental car parked in the driveway, my car is being repaired right now and I expect it back in 2 to 3 days. I phoned you at least 4 times and you have finally called me back and the accident happened 3 days ago (weekdays.) She says that's great you have it all looked after! I told her yes with no thanks to you! The other guy's insurance company called me immediately, I got the quotes for them and they told me to take the car to any of the shops I wanted to. Done! She should have contacted me sooner to make sure that all was in order and act on my behalf, after all that is partly what they are being paid for.

I canceled my policy when it came due. Never had a problem with any other company since.

Remember...good things are not cheap and cheap things are not good. Same rule applies with services! Be a tight wad and it might come back and bight you in the ass. Go with a reputable company that charges a fee somewhere in the middle.

Start jumping from one company to another and see what type of respect or service you receive. If you stay with the same provider for an extended period you have a little pull when you place a claim.

Just look before you jump!

Good luck.

I'm a broker and there are some good replies and questions here! I can't/won't attempt to answer them all except to say the best advice was to at least give your current broker a shot at helping. There is a lot of competition out there right now and I think some companies are giving discounts for breathing :lol:

The loyalty part may not help with the actual company but if you have a good working relationship with your broker it can go a long way when the "stuff" hits the fan. Any good broker realizes they work for you, not the insurance company. :thumbsup_anim: Feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions and I'll try to help as best I can.

Hi Everyone, It's been awhile since i've been around. Babies on the way, sick parents and work has kept me on my feet and off the computer. Just thought i would say that I am an Allstate agent in Burlington. Been so for 5 good years and right now things have never been better for our customers and my agency.

If anyone has any questions about insurance or Allstate, especially in my area i'd be happy to return any messages.

I'm also heading up to Port Loring fishing for a week and will have a report before next weekend. Hoping to boat some monster walleye.

take care,

The Caravan is the one I see recovered the most. It's amazing but if someone is complaining about someone leaving the scene of a crime in a grey caravan 90% of the time it's stolen. Has something to do with the ignitions being so easy to punch.

As for insurance, get a couple quotes and then ask your current company to beat them. I did that a couple years ago. For some strange reason my rates dropped by a few hundred a year when I told them I was not renewing with them since I had found a better deal.

Gotta agree with Verno, the caravan has to be close to the number 1 stolen vehicle in Ontario!

I recently switched to OFAH brokered insurance and saved money AND got more coverage. My original insurer was offered a chance to match but the best they could do was offer less coverage and higher deductibles. I had considered the loyalty aspect but was willing to take the chance.

You gotta do your homework I suppose.