Grand Bend Area

ufish2

I will be visiting the Grand Bend area of Lake Huron in July and am wondering if anyone who knows or lives in the area can guide me to any good fishing spots i can take the kiddies. Hopefully targeting Bass but anything would be good because i just want the kids to have a positive experience that will get them hooked on fishing.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!!!

You can fish the river/pier right in Grand Bend for Perch, the various rivers that enter into the Lake are all no more than a 1/2 hour drive from the Bend.

Where exactly will you be staying? Grand Bend itself or one of the many other spots in the area. Ipperwash PP?

HH

Grand Bend itself or one of the many other spots in the area. Ipperwash PP?

HH

I have many memories of Grand Bend and Ipperwash as a teenager....or is it that I've been there many times and cant remember most of what happened??? LOL :dunno::D Such a fine line.

I am not 100% familiar with that area. Big water around with Huron, of course, but that's not likely what you are after.

I thought about taking a boat up to a friends trailer near Ipperwash (near GB), and they said to forget it, not too much opportunity. They did mention something about the Ausable <sp> River? Maybe check into that.

I am from there. Fishing is not that great off the piers. If you go south out of grand bend twenty minutes just before port franks theres a big old bridge that river has various fish species in it. I used to fish there when Iwas a kid. You can catch fish off the pier though its just hit or miss. There is a great fish and chip restaurant that sells fresh walleye and perch dinners on the road that takes you down to the marina in Grand Bend and sometimes you can buy the odd fish off the two fishing boats there....I think the place is called perdy's. It's good. The problem there is the rivers around there will have next to no flow right now and they sit stagnet unless there is a big rain.

As Luvtodrift stated, there are many opportunities in the area, none that are really that great! The river in Port Franks has a decent smallie population, same can be said for many of the rivers (creeks more like it this time of year!) in the area. If GaryV spots this thread, he might have some more options for you as he lives just down the road from the Bend.

Good luck!

HH

There are tons of bridges up to a 3 or 4 of insections back from highway 21 on any of the major rivers or minor rivers for that matter that flow into Lake Huron.... Once you make sure they aren't posted "no tresspassing" you can just follow the path down to the water and fish. The only trouble is you will need a recent rain to make the fishing good as mentioned before. If it has rained you could be catching chub, sunfish, rock bass and smallies. You might be able to hit the pier if there is one on any of the rivers after a rain when the water is a little dirty and clean up catching smallies. If the water is clear you will likely see tons of them they just don't bite in clear water usually.

If you want quantity and not quality, take the kids into Pineary Provincial Park, I think it's $10. for a day pass. They have some docks the kid's can fish from or you can rent a canoe. The river holds lots of fish and they are easy to catch. Bring some worms. My wife worked in the park back in the 90's and I used to take the kids fishn there all the time. Tons of deer around and the youngsters will love watching them. Have a great time. Mike

You can fish the river/pier right in Grand Bend for Perch, the various rivers that enter into the Lake are all no more than a 1/2 hour drive from the Bend.

Where exactly will you be staying? Grand Bend itself or one of the many other spots in the area. Ipperwash PP?

HH

I am staying right in the downtown area of Grand Bend, renting a cottage their. I have fished off the main pier there with the kids in the past, have caught some smallies, rock bass, suckers, sheephead and even a walleye!!

I did drive up towards Godrich and fished in a place called Bayfield where the river meets the lake off of the pier. I had no luck but i saw some monster smallies caught there. I have never been to Ipperwash but that sounds like fun!! maybe renting a canoe with the kids. Does anyone know the rental rates and the admission cost to enter the park?

Thanks for everyones help on the forum, this truly is a great community!!!