Its no bald eagle. NF

nautifish

what type of bird this is? Was thinking maybe a woodpecker? But it was feeding from the ground in my back garden...Allmost looked like it was digging for insects or worms.

1st time seeing one in my back garden.

noidea.jpg

noidea2.jpg

noidea3.jpg

noidea4.jpg

Nauti.

It's a Northern Flicker. A few different variations Yellow Shafted, Red Shafted. It is a member of the Woodpecker family. They used to fly into my windows all the time.

I am looking on the net matt to see what i can find but the pictures i see of the flickers do not look like identical to this one. This bird did not have the red or yellow tash......It does how ever have a very distinct red allmost crest on the back of the head/ I was not fast enough with the cam though when it raised the red feather on the back of the head.........

It is a Northern flicker. Matt is 100% correct.

Edit: That's the yellow shafted because it has the red marking at the back of the head. The red shafteds have the red marking on their face. (Cheeks)

Cool red marking at the back of the head. I have no idea what it is Naut. Sorry.

I love birds missfish i allways get excited when i see a new kind of bird feeding in my back garden.....lol....It does look like some type of flicker and from what i have red they are ground feeders mostly ants. Apparently they are the ant eaters of the bird world.....But i do not see any with the red crest.........Which is sat at the back of the head and not on top of the head.

Hopefully this picture is a little better.

red-1.jpg

Edited by nautifish

Guest lundboy
I love birds missfish i allways get excited when i see a new kind of bird feeding in my back garden.....lol....It does look like some type of flicker and from what i have red they are ground feeders mostly ants. Apparently they are the ant eaters of the bird world.....But i do not see any with the red crest.........Which is sat at the back of the head and not on top of the head.

Hopefully this picture is a little better.

red-1.jpg

From what I can see on this site: http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site...e.jpg/view.html

It's a Northern Flicker.