Spool set-up for Jerkbaits?

DropShot'r

Greetings everyone,

Next year I will be fishing 87-110 sized jerkbaits with a new 7ft. med action fast taper spinning rod.

I have been going over several options for spooling my reel. At this point my choice is 15lb braid main line with about a 3ft. leader of fluorocarbon line.

Just curious what others are using.

Thanks,

Drop

Depends on what species I'm fishing for and how. If I'm trolling I sometimes don't bother with a leader and just direct tie with the braid. But casting direct tied jerk baits leads to lots of tangles so I'll use fluoro almost as much for its stiffness as for its stealth. The flouro does stand up to pike teeth much better than braid.

Hey Drop!

I currently fish Jerkbaits on a baitcast reel with 30lb braid. Because the rod I use has micro guides and I have yet to find a knot to fit through them, I typically don't use a leader anymore.

Before I used this combo, I used a Dobyns 702sf/Stradic ci4 with 20lb braid. If I needed a little stretch or a little dealer presentation, I would throw a 4' flourocarbon leader on it.

As mentioned before, pike don't seem to go through flouro as easily but the fact it is virtually invisible and sinks can be used to your advantage while jerkbaiting as well.

for jerkbaits i usually use straight braid to the lure, as a impulse/reaction strike line shyness not usually a issue, with that being said i use regular power pro or suffix braid there a little stiffer and less prone to tangles thab slick 8 or suf832, personal preferance though find what works for you

Hey Drop!

I currently fish Jerkbaits on a baitcast reel with 30lb braid. Because the rod I use has micro guides and I have yet to find a knot to fit through them, I typically don't use a leader anymore.

Before I used this combo, I used a Dobyns 702sf/Stradic ci4 with 20lb braid. If I needed a little stretch or a little dealer presentation, I would throw a 4' flourocarbon leader on it.

As mentioned before, pike don't seem to go through flouro as easily but the fact it is virtually invisible and sinks can be used to your advantage while jerkbaiting as well.

I want to get a new 7ft rod for next year. Job one is senkos, worms & tubes. I'm hoping the rod will be OK to toss jerkbaits as well.
My current D/S rod is a DX742SF so I am used to a 2 action. I was leaning towards a 703SF Champion HP or Champion. I thought the 3 action would have the required backbone to set worm sized hooks and load up nicely to help jerkbait hooks to do their job.
I'm still on the fence with rod choice. The Champion series might be the best rod for the money out there, and I'm not sure the old DX was worth the extra money. That being said the HP is a completely retooled rod and first impressions say they are a better rod than the DX. They are most certainly a very beautiful rod and one can quickly get drawn to the HP like a bug to a light.