Cabelas Dundee

bigcreekdad

As a card holder I got a $20 off coupon last week. I was looking to buy an Abu Garcia Revo Toro Winch reel, so I headed up yesterday.

I saw none on the floor so I asked one of the outfitters I knew ( I worked there part time in fly fishing for a few years) to check it out. He looked at their inventory system, and it turns out they don't stock that reel, and they have them shipped to you from the factory. I passed on ordering as the $20 off did not cover shipping. I ended up buying one on line through Amazon later in the day (with free shipping it was near a wash vs ordering from Cabelas).

That store has gone so far downhill in the last 7 years or so it is amazing. I think a lot of it has to do with trying to really limit stocking. The Revo reel is hardly a unique item (IMO), and I was very surprised to see it wasn't carried.

Before I left, I stopped in the fly fishing department to chat with one of my old cohorts who was working. He was the only one in the department. Since I hadn't seen him in almost a year, I thought we'd catch up on both our fishing seasons. Having worked there before, I kept an eye out for customers so I could disengage from our chat so he could handle them. I was there for over an hour.....he had one customer....someone looking for an ice fishing doo dad...far from fly fishing. I remember working the fly fishing department on Saturdays between Thanksgiving and Christmas....we'd have 3-4 fly fishing outfitters on the floor from 10am till 5pm...and we were busy as hell. Also, their fly rod inventory alone looked to be about one third of what I remembered.

I read recently that Cabelas was looking for a possible buyer. There was mention that they were more interested in selling credit cards than product. I guess that is so.