Rice Lake report (sorry no pics)

Jonaton

So a friend and I headed out to rice today at about 5:45, by the time we got a rental sorted out we made it on the water at 7:30. I was amazed at the amount of carp where we launched, they were everywhere. So we decide since neither of us has even really made any effort we are going to specifically target walleye. He rigs up a worm harness andafter 1 or 2 blue gills he pulls in a nice littlewalleye, his first ever. (he has a pic if he would like to add it to the thread). About my third cast of the day and I very breifly had what I beleive was a very nice smallmouth or walleye on but it was off just as quick.

We check out a few places and he managed a few more blue gills and I had a couple of good hits but the fish just weren't staying on. So we head to a random marina due to poor planing in the food and beverage department for the hundredeth time. Back on the lake I decide I was going to turn my focus to muskies. I had one really quick hit that I am pretty sure was a nice little muskie but again off again. Finally throwing a 1 oz spinnerbait I caught (almost?) my first walleye. It hit about 15 feet from the boat and i was sure it was a muskie as looked really long when it first flashed. About 4-5 lbs but I got him to the boat, he stopped fighting, I grabbed his tail, he gave one last kick and was gone. All in all a great day on the water even if the fishing was a little slow.

Lucky you!

My 2 buddies and I were out on Rice yesterday (Sunday) morning from 530 until about noon.

Between the 3 of us, we got 3 smallmouths, 2 rock bass and a perch........ a far cry from the walleye we were targeting.

The only good thing about the trip was the tan I got!

It was horrible fishing! :wallbash:

We rented right at the south end of the lake, I think we ended up at the chip shop? We just headed to the lake on a bit of a snap decision at about 1am Satuday.

I am sure some of my hooks need sharpening but I think it was also the fact that all of the hits I had were on large baits. When I targeted walleye I had not even a bite.