Bonar Lake Air Ivanhoe

can u fish

This years annual fly in was to Bonar Lake which is situated in the Chapleau Game Preserve we drove up a day early and spent the night at Air Ivanhoe in Foleyet in one of the log cabin suites right behind the main lodge great accommodations at a very reasonable price $40.00 dollars a night per person you cant beat that so we got settled in and had dinner at the main lodge that evening food was great and the beer was nice and cold great way to finish off a long day. We went to bed pretty early that night as we would be the first flight out that morning sure enough the night flew by we were on the dock weighing our gear at 6:30 am and the staff at Air Ivanhoe took care of the rest the plane was loaded by 7:00am after a quick breakfast we were off to Bonar Lake we were in the air by 7:50 am which was great cause that meant we would be on the water fishing quite early the first day the flight in was awesome as usual I have always enjoyed the flight it is all part of the adventure and the scenery from up there is pretty awesome anyway by 8:20 am we were landing on Bonar lake and the South camp would be home for the week we unloaded the beaver and got all our stuff set up in the cabin which did not take long as it was just my brother and I on this trip we were on the water by 10:00am our first day was spent exploring the lake looking for depth and structure Bonar lake is basically two basins separated by a narrow channel as we left the dock we noticed where ever we went in the south end of the lake there was really no depth 3.5 to 6.5 ft of water was the average we did notice the water line on the rocks and that the levels were way down so we headed down to the narrows and made our way into the Northern basin hoping to find deeper water and that we did to make a long story short it took us a couple days to figure things out and we consistently caught good numbers of walleye every day the bigger fish were caught in the north end they averaged 18 to 20 inches what we found odd were the numbers of walleye we caught in the south end of the lake in 6.5 ft of water just outside of the reeds these are normally depths we would fish in the spring not in the fall anyway we had a great week of fishing as usual I would like to thank the Theriault family who operate Air Ivanhoe for another great trip.Sorry about not providing any photos as I live in a rural area and do not have high speed internet.

Cheers Mitch