From pike to sunfish / proud dad

I decided to take a break from my pathetic pike fishing (Holland Canal and Humber Bay Park East) to try Grenadier Pond with my sons again for panfish (frankly, I'm compensating my nonexistent pike by buying new pike tackle). We go to High Park frequently, and last year I didn't have any success in Grenadier.

This all changed two weeks ago!

My older son and I have been running across large schools of sunfish for the past two weeks, and we've been getting hits and landing them one after another during the early morning when it's still cool.

The sunfish tend to be hitting best with a small hook (#8 I think) and Berkley Powerbait maggots.

I have also tried Bass Pro Shop panfish tube jigs, but they are too big. The sunfish nibble the tentacles and then swim off.

The gentleman next to us kept 2 dozen or so, he called them "jumbo", but they looked like adults to my untrained eye. His keepers were the about 4 - 5 inches long. He was using a float and chunks of sunfish and shrimp as bait.

Do sunfish reproduce with extreme ferocity? I am wondering how they sustain themselves in Grenadier.

I've attached some photos.

Oh, and on the pike front, another gentleman apparently caught a "22 inch" pike the day before in the pond.

I know that these are just sunfish, but this is a "proud dad moment".

sun4.jpg

sun3.jpg

sun2.jpg

sun1.jpg

Edited by walking_angler

Guest Johnny Bass

Great Report!Sounds like he is hooked!! Though there is nothing wrong with Canal road(holland river). I have many special memories fishing that river. Just between the first 2 trees to the left when you get off the 400 going north! AT this time you can even catch a monster carp or bowfin!!!

Just dont let the worm sit on bottom. Just drop it down 3-5 feet and hold on!!!