SMOOTHROCK LAKE

GRINGO LOCO

My wife, Elsa and yours truly just returned from a fishing trip to Smoothrock Lake with Thunderhook Outfitters in the Wabikimi National Park. I have been there many times on previous occasions and the fishing has always been outstanding. We didn't fish a lot, but about 3-4 hours in the morning would always allow us to catch 50-100 walleyes jig fishing. Most walleyes are 16-18 inches but every day there are a few over 20 inches. The bugs, especially black flies are having a banner year and were especially tough on Elsa who wore a headnet on some days .We only casted for Northerns on 3 occasions for about an hour and caught numerous small fish. We did land 4 Northerns of 30-32 inches and one that was 40 inches plus. The accommodations at Smoothrock camp are excellent with full time electric, indoor showers, and toilet facilities. More important they provide 16 foot Lund boats with 20hp four stroke motors.and you can hook your fish finders up directly to their batteries.

I am going back in a week with guys that will put a lot more time on the water, bugs or no bugs. Sorry about the lack of pictures but I haven't figured out yet how to do that. .

My wife, Elsa and yours truly just returned from a fishing trip to Smoothrock Lake with Thunderhook Outfitters in the Wabikimi National Park. I have been there many times on previous occasions and the fishing has always been outstanding. We didn't fish a lot, but about 3-4 hours in the morning would always allow us to catch 50-100 walleyes jig fishing. Most walleyes are 16-18 inches but every day there are a few over 20 inches. The bugs, especially black flies are having a banner year and were especially tough on Elsa who wore a headnet on some days .We only casted for Northerns on 3 occasions for about an hour and caught numerous small fish. We did land 4 Northerns of 30-32 inches and one that was 40 inches plus. The accommodations at Smoothrock camp are excellent with full time electric, indoor showers, and toilet facilities. More important they provide 16 foot Lund boats with 20hp four stroke motors.and you can hook your fish finders up directly to their batteries.

I am going back in a week with guys that will put a lot more time on the water, bugs or no bugs. Sorry about the lack of pictures but I haven't figured out yet how to do that. .

Pictures or it didn't happen.