Fantastic Article- Fish Handling

FloatnFly

Great article. Over the past 5yrs, I've been trying to evolve my fishing and photography around conservation best practices (ie. keeping fish in the water as much as I can). I believe it gives you a more aesthetically pleasing picture and both you and the fish are happier in the end :)

9885963684_99aa6dcf42_z.jpgBrookie by MJLeung, on Flickr

9886811723_f06a033759_z.jpgReflection by MJLeung, on Flickr

12039302955_eb12eb0ce0_z.jpgBelow the ice by MJLeung, on Flickr

9878565225_ab56a64491_z.jpgHalf & half bass by MJLeung, on Flickr

9887830714_112eedf69b_z.jpgGar by MJLeung, on Flickr

I don't take too many selfies...Sometimes you just gotta be your own cameraman

9941300564_2d72dea4c8_z.jpgSelfie brownie by MJLeung, on Flickr

Great article, this should be a must read for all anglers! The best point in the article was using the analogy that leaving a fish out of the water is akin to holding one's breath after running a marathon. One big complaint I have is the way most (yes I said most) TV fishing hosts don't handle fish correctly. They leave the fish out of the water way too long while they are yakking at the camera. I always say to myself "put the damn fish back in the water!" That's my thoughts for now.

Great article, this should be a must read for all anglers! The best point in the article was using the analogy that leaving a fish out of the water is akin to holding one's breath after running a marathon. One big complaint I have is the way most (yes I said most) TV fishing hosts don't handle fish correctly. They leave the fish out of the water way too long while they are yakking at the camera. I always say to myself "put the damn fish back in the water!" That's my thoughts for now.

Its the worst part about fishing shows. The constant mishandling of fish seen by millions every day who assume its ok to do because these dummys do it on tv.

So much for leading by example

I watched a show by Italo one day, he was fishing at the time a fairly unknown creek around new castle, not the willy, but a smaller one, he caught a nice steelhead, netted it, and had sitting in the net on the rocks for 5 minutes while he talked about his gear, pathetic

heres the episode, keep in mind this is supposed to be a profressional....

I can't stand Italo anyway. Seems very condescending. Always talking down to his wife and the guides. But I'm sure it's what Jesus would do...

Anyway, I didn't see what happened after he kept that fish on shore for 5 minutes, but he is one of the few TV hosts that actually keeps some of the fish he catches. Not sure if that's what he did here.

I can't stand Italo anyway. Seems very condescending. Always talking down to his wife and the guides. But I'm sure it's what Jesus would do...

Anyway, I didn't see what happened after he kept that fish on shore for 5 minutes, but he is one of the few TV hosts that actually keeps some of the fish he catches. Not sure if that's what he did here.

they put them back in the net, drop them in the water, then poke at the fish with the net til swims away