Minden Area Lakers

suds

Howdy Fishheads,

I got invited to a buddy's cottage on Mountain Lake this weekend. He is forcing me to play golf Saturday, but I'm hitting the water on Sunday. He say's there are lakers in there, but wasn't much help beyond that.

The question i have is anyone familiar with the area and are the lakers still up in the water column? I was going to try the usual tackle, but I was wondering if anyone has flyfished for lakers? I wouldn't mind dragging a minnow pattern or something if I had a chance.

TIA and I hope everyone gets to wet a line this weekend. :thumbsup_anim:

cheers

suds

Told they're already diving for the depths of 80 Feet on Temagami and it's still COLD (like 56F surface). But we did catch ours three weeks back in 10 FOW on points and another in 44 FOW trolling a TD-11 Taildancer that was ticking stuff I went over at about 19 feet (so I know they really don't go 30 now). Like Doug says you'd better have a sinking line if you want to get to them on the fly rod.

I would use a Float fishing approch. Center Pin and the long rod because you only have 90 ft of line with the flyrod. lf your trolling it would all have tobe used to get the depth of 30-40ft and that will not let you have any room for when the laker run's. But with the centerpin you will have lots of line for the run and fight but l would still use 8lb line. Now l don't catch much but thats what l will be doing this summer. To fight a laker on a CP would be nice. Peace Ken

Thanks guys,

I have an intermediate sink line that's 110' with 400 yards of backing. Its the reel I used for flyfishing for coho on the Pacific. I think I may attach a 6' or 8' heavy sink tip to that as well. Hmm. That should allow me to fool around with different depths. I'd love to get one on the fly, even a small gaffer.

I would prefer to not go any larger than 6lb leader, but do you think that may be too light for a laker? I guess if its deep and the waters coloured a bit, 8 or 10 would be cool?

Any pattern suggestions?

I'll be sure to let you know how it works out.

Thanks again

suds