Ottawa River Between Rolphton and Mattawa

MrSimon

I got some excellent advice on where to stay in this area with my RV, but now I have a few questions about the river and the fishing.

I'd like to know about the fishing, but I'm more interested in the "feel" of the river between Rolphton and Mattawa. Are there lots of houses and docks or does it feel remote? What is the scenery like? Is it rocky or muddy? Any weed beds? Would a pontoon boat be OK? Are there any smaller rivers or streams to explore?

We love to load up in the pontoon boat early in the morning and spend all day exploring and fishing. Sometimes we cover many miles of water and don't get back until midnight. Would this part of the Ottawa be conducive to our style.

Thanks!

I have only been between Mattawa and Deux Rivere which is 25 k and in that distance there are only 4 or 5 cottages and most of the terrain is steep right down to the water and I don't think there is much of a difference all the way to Rolphton. I know the Quebec MNR launches from Rolphton and carries his gas with him so there cant be many place to get gas.

vance

I fished down from Mattawa, not too many cottages. But keep an eye out for logs. At night it can be tricky out there.

Every species of fish you can think of. But check the regs for fishing on the Ottawa. Ont vs PQ license.

Regards

Edited by davew3

Mattawa stretch is very quiet once you get south of town. There are a couple small (very small) trailer parks and some old rustic cabins, but yes it has a fairly remote feel to it. Much of that stretch is very cavernous, with huge near vertical cliffs on either side of the river.