Chainsaw Sharpening NF

bh87ss

As "Fisherman" could tell anybody who might want to listen, there are few guys in this world who are less technically inclined than I am. But I can sharpen a chain, by hand, with a file and nothing else. TWO files if the rakers are really proud. But you just look at the angle on the chain, align the chain file to that angle left/right and up/down, and shave it square to the direction of motion, for an equal number of licks per tooth. If you need to take the rakers down, file straight across on a 90 degree angle to perpendicular, if you follow me. The top of the rakers are parallel to the bar channel.

Works for me..............

But if Fisherman says the new whizbang electric gizmos are the cat's meow, he is without a doubt 100% correct.

Doug

Yup, you could sharpen chains on my skidway anytime because YOU KNOW how to!

I work in tree care, and have to sharpen saws often, because there is almost always metal in trees we remove from back yards. The only guide I use is the line that is scribed at the bottom of the link. As mentioned, it really helps if you can anchor the bar solidly, as in a vice. If I have to do the rakers, I do them first, so if I happen to slip and hit a tooth, it doesn't matter as much. Over time, you'll get better at maintaining your angles. Fresh files make a huge difference, and I rotate it slightly as I move it across the tooth. It's a matter of developing a feel for it with practice.

Hey Cliff, when you say next weekend are you talking about thanksgiving or the one after? If it's the one after I would be happy to take you up on your offer if I may? I have a saw that probably needs a new chain, but the one that's on it could be a good one to learn on :) I;m also open to learning any tips on maintaining it too :)

Maureen