bunk replacement

Raf

Ironmaker, I thought about going from up top using a carriage bolt and nut on the bottom -- it would certainly ensure that they'd never back out but, that would require me to have the boat off the trailer, measure and drill (countersink as well) then wrap it with carpet. Just dont have the luxury of doing that at the ramp. This way I had the bunks ready and it was as simple as dropping the boat, unbolt old, bold up new and done. Took no time and the Lag bolts from bottom lasted however many number of years -- if I keep an eye on them making sure they are snug I figure I'll be fine. Honestly, if I still own this rig and have to repeat this in 3 or 4 years I don't think it will be a big deal either.

No side steps on mine, just a simple 2x2x4 bunk setup. "only" a 15' boat.

Edited by Raf

• 3 weeks later...

Well Raf when you get it all figured please come out and do mine!! We went to load the Lund on Wednesday in Temagami and realized I have at least one rotted bunk (of 4). Sure wish I had of noticed sometime through the summer. Loaded the boat really careful (which was easy with high water this year) and Leah got it home in one piece on Thursday. I've got some work ahead of me... or maybe I can get Andy to change them after I launch and troll for Midland Harbour 'skis! I'll give him a couple hours and come back and pick him up! lol

Edited by irishfield

Wayne, I suspect you're the last person on this site who would require any help on this one. If anything, you'll end up with an over-engineered, super light bunk that will outlast the frame of the trailer. LOL