Keep 'em keen, make it an adventure.

limeyangler

Hi all,

I've been hitting the lake with my boy(5 years old)lots the last couple of weeks. I owe lots to those members who have gone before me and posted about how to keep young anglers interested, occupied and interested while out for the day, Urban Fisherman and Mike Borger spring to mind but there have been many others who have posted their experience and advice on this subject.

I have learned from them and my own experience that patience is key, as is preparing yourself mentally in advance not to get caught up in your 'adult' fishing mode, which in my case , although i'm in heaven, would seem pretty intense, focused and serious to an outside observer, and kids are perceptive….and Jack don't miss a thing.

It does not hurt to hype up the event days before and every day leading up to the trip. Highlighting all the fun things we've done in the past and the new things we are going to see and do really gets Jack pumped to go (the trip can also now be used as a bargaining chip too…..but i'd never do that, that would be manipulative :whistling::angel: ).

Food is also important. We are fairly strict with what types of food we allow Jack to eat, so relaxing that a bit(or sometimes a lot) is fun for everyone, nothing like chips,pop(diet) and some candy along with the healthier stuff.

Making the outing an adventure that is not all about fishing is also important, take time out and explore, goof around, let them steer the trolling motor, get them involved in packing the boat, gassing up in town, buying bait (Jack love's it when he gets to do "dad stuff").

We have made a point of finding a new beach to explore each time we are out, Jack absolutely loves this bit, as do I, and we have a hoot collecting stuff, building stuff and learning about wildlife.

Yesterday we added another dimension to our outings, we did our first Geocache find. Basically treasure hunting with a GPS…..found a few on the way to Lac Seul and there was one at a spring we always stop at…..the idea of TREASURE was almost too much for Jack to handle and he burst out of the truck when we stopped.

Safety is also key….suffice to say I pack way more than I do when i'm going solo or with a buddy, basically everything i can think of that a 5 year old would need to make an unplanned night or 2 in the bush an adventure as opposed to a life and death incident. Nightime pull-ups(pampers) loads of zip locked extra clothes, including mosquito proof clothing, mittens, rain wear then also gallons of bug dope and sun screen, extra flashlights, a giant tarp to make a shelter, foil blankets, a hatchet, air horns, lighters, water proof matches, multitool etc…etc…etc…and i leave a google earth map up on the desktop at home tracing the path we will be taking on the lake and stick to that rigorously so the rescue teams have a chance of finding us! This allows me to relax, and a relaxed dad has more fun than a stressed one…..lol.

Well I have rambled on and on. ABSOLUTELY LOVING BEING A DAD , LOVING THE ADVENTURES WITH MY BOY……just thought i'd share and make a mention of the help i have received from members here with advice on how to get kids involved and keep them happy when out.

Here is a short video with some stills of our latest adventure, we collected quite a few creatures at the beach and jack took the bucket (aquarium) with him in the boat for the second and final fishing session of the day, certainly kept him entertained in between frequent bites.

YESTERDAY @ LAC SEUL

Thanks for sharing. It was really telling when you mentioned not get "Caught up in ADULT mode". I see a lot of adults just as eager to catch fish while being out on the water with a young child and more times than not it is hard to do both; to attend to a child and fish yourself at the same time.

Great reminder again that first impressions can either lead to a good or a bad experience and thus alter the direction of fishing for the young person in the future.

Thanks again

This is such a great post!!!!!

I have a seven year old daughter and a five year old son who love to go out fishing with me. I admit, its very trying on the nerves to deal with tangled lines and what not the whole time. But I find that if I stay focused on them, and not my own fishing, they have a LOT more fun.

I've also found that putting a handful of bluegills in the live well for them to play with is more exciting to them than actually catching the fish.

Snacks, drinks, stopping on shore, etc etc are staples of our outings.

Well done Simon.

You and Jack are fishing buddies for life. Love the live bucket.

When I take the grand kiddies out, I leave my gear behind. It,s all about them for the time we are out. Sometimes like said,they get more of a kick out of a bucket with fish, then fishing it,s self.

Our last outing on the ice,I drilled a hole 12 inches deep. Filled with water and threw the minnows in it. Fishing stopped and the playing in the minnow hole was the high light of the day Adding a few small perch didnt hurt..LOL

I vote you and Jack,father and son fishing team of the year. :clapping::canadian:

Well done sir and Jack and we must not forget MOM. :clapping:

I will give a shout out to Rolloff. :good: