lead core setup questions

skinny

ok I have 2 old penn setups I want to put lead core on I saw the vids on knots but can I leave some of what the line is on the reel now as a backing and tie my core on to it
and use some of the old stuff for leader also
I know sounds like I'm cheapping out but this is all just a lets try it out thing

you're cheaping out, and if it works, the loss of fish and leadcore will far exceed the cost of some backing and a reasonable leader. Just use a few foot of mono for your leader, and something decent for the backing. Depending on what you are fishing for ( and what lake) you may not actually need that much backing. A king is about the only thing that is gonna rip that kind of weight any significant distance - and if you are cheaping out when you are fishing for them, you may as well just drop your money in the lake without all the hassels of setting up the rod

I would put 150 yards of 50 lb braid as backing, I prefer high visibility braid but any braid will do, put a few wraps of mono on the spool first to prevent braid slip.

As for leader, approx 25' of 15 lb floro for walleys should do the trick. or you can just use mono.

I would put 150 yards of 50 lb braid as backing, I prefer high visibility braid but any braid will do, put a few wraps of mono on the spool first to prevent braid slip.

As for leader, approx 25' of 15 lb floro for walleys should do the trick. or you can just use mono.

good suggestions. I have a SWR set up: about 25 foot of 12lb mono leader, 3 sections of core, and then a full spool of 12 lb mono for backing on a Shimano Clarion- the latter in case I get a king. It has been very successful with the eyes on Erie running off a planer board. You wont need anywhere near that much backing for the eyes - 150 yards would be sufficient for sure.

Just thought I's throw this out there. I have 4 Diawa Sealine 47's I use for lead. I decided to replace what I had as it was quite old and I found this new smaller diameter lead from Tuff-Line. Being 30% smaller diameter it achieves the same sink as the traditional leadcore with less lead. Less lead means less bulk, smaller gear, lighter rods. Another cool thing is while i bought 18lb test it is 53 lb break strength. The stuff got great reviews, I just received it and haven't even spooled yet.