Trolling motor battery hook up question

bigcreekdad

Just bought a Minnkota 65 lb 24v bow mount. It is replacing an old Evinrude 24v ( unsure of power). Althoug there is no such info in the wiring diagram or other info in the installation manual, a tag attached to the motor says a minimum of 6 ga wire should be used to connect to batteries. Also, indicates a 50 amp manual circuit breaker s/b installed. I was just going to connect the motor wiring to the electrical plug I was using for the Evinrude, but the guauge is not 6, and all my present system had is a fuse vs. a manual circuit breaker. I'm confused why the manual does not talk of this, and whether the tag warning is overkill.

Anyone help me out here?

The guage of the wire is #6 because the larger the size the less resistance is lost in the wire in the form of heat. The best way to see if the wire you have existing is going to be good enough is to turn the motor on high in the water for a few minutes and check the existing wire to see if it get warmer than you can comfortable hold. If it does then it is to small and a new wire needs to be pulled. The boat is more than likely wired with a #8 gauge and should be O.K. if it looks any smaller than that then you run the risk of softening the wire in the chase area and then rubbing it thru and shorting. The fuse or the circuit breaker have the same function so either is acceptable. Make sure you have an extra fuse just in case you accidently blow it by shorting it or a loose connection. Remember that the circuit protector is the first thing that comes off the battery and then runs to the motor because everything between the battery and the fuse is not protected.

Art