Sucker fishing in the creek.

limeyangler

Nice , the run is over down here. My dad and uncle used to talk about spearing them in the spring and grandma would put them up in canning jars , pickled I beleive. That would be 75 years ago though. Be careful , I know the spring regs on spearing and dip netting coarse fish have changed over the years. Spearing pike was a spring ritual for my generation and has passed by the wayside now :wallbash:

Also , watch out for bears they hit up the sucker creeks pretty good for the run too. :whistling:

Nice , the run is over down here. My dad and uncle used to talk about spearing them in the spring and grandma would put them up in canning jars , pickled I beleive. That would be 75 years ago though. Be careful , I know the spring regs on spearing and dip netting coarse fish have changed over the years. Spearing pike was a spring ritual for my generation and has passed by the wayside now :wallbash:

Also , watch out for bears they hit up the sucker creeks pretty good for the run too. :whistling:

Thanks Dave, I checked the regs over before we left for the FMZ we were in, if ya have a licence you are good to go in that creek for suckers, not a sanctuary. Spearing jackfish would be a no go as would capturing smelt. As for bears…yeah, in the area I live in always a risk whether picking blueberries or netting suckers or walking the dog or shore fishing or going to the dump. Right after that we went to visit a friend camping out down a logging road, saw 6 bears in all. thankfully we were in the truck as it was momma and baby bears, heard mums get a little testy in that situation!

Edited by limeyangler

Wow, just look at how they're stacked on top of each other. Just amazing. Hey Limey, mind if I ask what do you guys do with them? I always thought harvesting Sucker out of northern waters would be good as eating any fish. Thanks for the post!

I was there for the spectacle alone and to have fun showing the kids. The older guy kept a couple for trout bait and some for a lady who 'cans' them. He says it tastes just like canned salmon…whod've thunk it eh?