Bow repair

snackpack5150

Hello all, have a Princecraft 176 and the wood under the carpeted bow has begun to rot. Has anyone ever tackled this problem to replace and recover the wood, I also have a trolling motor bracket mounted on the bow. Looking for some advice should I try to purchase new carpet or use an alternative material?

Ken

Use the search function, lots of "project" photos and details.

Use marine plywood, not pressure treated. Carpet has its pros and cons. You decide if the pros outweigh the cons for you.

It would seem that anyone with a modest amount of skill and extra time can tackle this with few issues.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Mark

Ken ..I've got a Lund Predator stripped right down at the moment ...its a bit of a job..take pics before and after ..take some notes as to what and where things go...if its coming off in intact pieces save them for templates (carpet and plywood) makes things easier...I'm going back to what was there 3/4 Fir but I'm gonna seal all the edges and cuts with west epoxy and paint the bottoms ..like projects in the past ive used a marine grade outdoor carpet from the carpet store $1 square...good luck its a rewarding task

Just a thought for you. I personally don't like carpet cuz I'm forever getting hooks caught in it. When I added a new floor to my 14' Lund I used vinyl. No more hooks caught! I purchased the vinyl at Home Depot. It's very soft, pliable & has a skid resistant texture. Great for boats. They sell it by the foot off a roll, located in the area where they have carpeting on the large rolls. Downside is the glue they recommend is $45.00 / 4 litres. I'm sure 3M spray contact cement would do the job. I had a small area where the vinyl was starting to release from the plywood, so I used the spray. Did the job! Add a couple of staples to the underside for added measure.