from Frogmore to New York

Hey all,

Been busy the past week and half so I saved two reports for one. I'm on my lunch break at work right now so i'm going to keep it short and simple!

First off I headed out to Frogmore, ON - where my future in-laws live to spend a day with the family. I think BBR is probably one of the few people on this board who know's where that is! Lucky for me, Deer Creek is just down the road so I packed up the ultralight and went panfish hunting.

Here's a shot of my Daughter in my new tackle box - I think she wanted to come with me!

med_gallery_133_237_20477.jpg

First off I started fishing with live worms that I dug up and wasn't getting a sniff. So I switched to my trusty pink trout worms and WHAMO - one after another after another. I've never seen anything like it. 8-9 inch bluegills, I mean they were monsters. I even had a couple pull drag from my rod. What a blast with 4lb test line.....

Here's one of the first Bluegills

med_gallery_133_237_10899.jpg

Now I've personally NEVER tried keeping and eating panfish before - don't know why really. Just grew up fishing walleye and smallmouth up in sudbury and my old man was just to lazy to clean them I suppose. After seeing some reports from people on here keeping sunfish/rock bass I figured what better time to try it out. So I kept 8 selects for the grill!

med_gallery_133_237_68013.jpg

Close-up of a 9 incher - good for one of CCMT's OFAH awards!

med_gallery_133_237_38131.jpg

And Finally - my first plate of sunfish! MMMMMM MMMMMM MMMMMM I have been MISSING OUT - they taste fantastic!

med_gallery_133_237_30682.jpg

So I have to say, if you haven't tried eating sunfish before - you will not be dissapointed - especially if you prefer fish that don't taste "fishy".

Alright, So I was taken to the states to fish lake Erie for my first crack at genuine trophy smallmouth bass. I'd like to give you a big long story but the pictures say it all. Lucky for me we happened to have a proffesional photographer in our group who offered to take these beauty pictures for me.

Now, Smallies are open in Erie where we were fishing but this is the crazy part - It's a two fish limit - OVER 20 INCHES!?!?!?! Needless to say, I was put onto some huge smallies. My two biggest of the day, both over 20 inches, tipping the scales at just over 5lbs!

med_gallery_133_237_54399.jpg

med_gallery_133_237_26413.jpg

After all the fishing, I headed up to Sudbury, ON for two days to visit my family and take a look at my future canoe..... Some of you might remember my post about taking my beagle out in a canoe with me. Here it is!

med_gallery_133_237_19566.jpg

Well, I better get back to work! Hope everybody gets out fishing this weekend!

Cheers,

UF

Great report UF!! Love that picture of your little one in the tackle box...classic....just classic. I'm sure you'll have her out on a few fishing trips before you know it. Those smallies aren't so smallie....great pics too...handy to have a photographer on board!!

I'll have to try the pinkies on pan fish...we almost ran out of worms the other weekend while pan fishing...didn't even cross my mind to use them. Thanks for the tip!

Nice pic of the canoe and your beagle too...I'm sure he/she will be fine in it.

Oh yeah...sign up for OFAH....it's free...and it's nice to be recognized for your catches. Congrats on a qualifying fish!

Great combined report UF...great read!

Hey Urban, I was born and raised in Port Credit, moved to St. Williams,15 min. from Frogmore in 2000,and now do most of my fishing one hour south of Sudbury on Lake nippissing at Monetville.I seem to be going in the opposite direction of you.hope to see you on Lake Erie some time.There is some fantastic smallmouth fishing in the inner bay.