Rainbow Sorting and Fin Clipping - Kincardine Hatchery

spinnerbaitking

Good Morning Everyone,

The Rainbow sorting and fin clipping has started and we are looking for volunteers to help us out at the Kincardine Hatchery. I personally sorted rainbows last year for the first time with my teenaged daughter and it was a blast. I have never fin clipped and my work schedule will not allow me to try this year. My point is this – if you have never done it before, have no fear, it is something that is taught in seconds and by the mornings end you will be an expert. The more helpers the merrier!

Sorting Days are today from 9 am to 12 noon. And Monday through Thursday from 9 am until noon next week as well or until we finish.

Fin Clipping starts next Saturday, February 8th, at 9 am until noon and will continue until completed.

If you can help, please come out. It is a great way to meet fellow club members and show your support to the fishery.

Matt Luckhart is spearheading this campaign so if you have any questions please send him an email at [email protected]

Otherwise just show up at the hatchery in Kincardine and ask for Matt any day you can help.

Thank you in advance. :clapping:

Kind Regards,

Mike Hahn
Vice-President
Lake Huron Fishing Club

Can I ask why,they are fin clipping these days?

We still get lakers and whities here that are clipped. That tells they are not naturals. But from what I have read,there is no longer fin clipping on Simcoe fish.

If my day is open,I would love to drive up and help.It would be new to me.

Edited by Misfish

This is one thing some of our Executive believe:

There is a VERY powerful group of people that want every naturalized and non-native fish eradicated from Lake Huron. If fin clipping ended, in due time, so would all stocking of anything but Lake Trout into the lake. Like it or not, the future of the OS and the LHFC depend on fin clipping. End of story.

Cut off a baby's arm below the elbow at birth and that child will no question face many more challenges in life than those with 100% of their body parts. I don't dispute that. The same goes for the fish. Just keep in mind they spend 3 months in the rearing tanks getting used to the new way of life before we put them into Mother Nature’s care.........That has to help their odds at least a little bit I would think......

Tight Lines SBK :Gonefishing: